Harrogate Town 0 - 2 FC Halifax Town

by Hal Boxhall-Dockree
15 October 2016

 Harrogate Town 0 - 2 FC Halifax Town


Halifax gained revenge on Harrogate Town for their home league defeat earlier this season by dumping Simon Weaver’s side out of The Emirates FA Cup.


The decisive moment came in the 69th minute when Jordan Sinnott’s edge of the box shot took a cruel deflection off Paul Thirlwell and found the back of the net.

Town were then reduced to ten men with a minute to play as Captain Simon Ainge was shown a second yellow card for a foul on the edge of his own box.

The hosts threw men forward to try and force a replay, but were undone when a sliced clearance allowed substitute Jake Hibbs to shoot into an empty net from inside his own half.

Weaver made three changes from last weekend’s trip to Chorley as Paul Thirlwell, JP Pittman and Ben Parker returned, while new loan signing Reece Webb-Foster was named on the bench.

In the away dugout Billy Heath made two changes from his side’s 2-0 win over Gloucester; recalling Nathan Hotte and Richard Peniket to the starting line-up.


The hosts almost fell behind in comical fashion just 11 minutes in when Simon Ainge’s clearance cannoned off Jordan Sinnott, looped over Peter Crook and bounced back off the post.

Crook was then forced into the first save of the afternoon as he kept out Josh Macdonald’s low effort with ease.

With 20 minutes gone David Lynch set his sights on the top left corner, but curled his left footed effort wide.

Weaver then suffered a blow when Pittman was forced off the field with injury just past the half hour mark as Jack Emmett entered the action.

Town’s first opening of the half came eight minutes before the break when Joe Leesley’s free kick wasn’t cleared and Joe Colbeck fired an attempt over the bar.

The second half started in a much more lively fashion than the first ended as, moments after Scott Garner had executed a risky header back towards his goalkeeper, Peniket again found space in the Town box but blazed wide.

One minute prior to the hour mark Halifax Captain Liam King burst forward from midfield and had only the games’ second shot on target as Crook saved one handed low to his right.

With just over 20 minutes to play, Halifax grabbed the advantage when Sinnott shot from the edge of the area, only for his attempt to hit Thirlwell, wrong foot Crook and fly into the net.

Town desperately needed an equaliser, but again missed the target when a loose ball broke to Lewis Turner on the edge of the box.

Things then went from bad to worse for Weaver’s men as Simon Ainge conceded a free kick on the edge of his own box and was shown a second yellow card by referee Billy Khatib.

With Town pouring men forward in search of a leveller, Crook’s clearance fell to substitute Hibbs just inside his own half allowing the Halifax Town man to curl into an empty net and secure his sides’ place in the Emirates FA Cup First Round.

Harrogate Town: Crook, Turner, Parker (Webb-Foster 70), Thanoj, Thirlwell, Ainge, Colbeck, Burrell, Pittman (Emmett 31), Gascoigne (Platt 56), Leesley

Subs not used: Chilaka, Day, Stewart, Purkiss

Booked: Thirlwell, Ainge

Sent off: Ainge

Halifax Town: Drench, Roberts, Wilde, King, Hotte, Garner, Macdonald, Lynch, Peniket (Moyo 85), Sinnott (Hibbs 76), Simmons (Denton 61)

Subs not used: Nicholson, Burrow, Hughes, Brown

Goals: Sinnott 69, Hibbs 90+5

Referee: B Khatib

Attendance: 1,791