Harrogate Town 0 - 2 Kidderminster Harriers

by Hal Boxhall-Dockree
25 October 2016

 Harrogate Town 0 - 2 Kidderminster Harriers


Ten-man Harrogate Town were handed a first home league defeat since March as Kidderminster Harriers collected all three points at The CNG Stadium.


Liam Truslove opened the scoring after 29 minutes with a deflected strike, before a reckless challenge on the half way line by Andy Gascoigne was punished with a straight red card.

Town never looked like breaking down the National League North’s joint second best defence and were caught out in the 90th minute as substitute Andre Brown finished into an empty net from half way.

The defeat sees Town drop out of the play-off places with John Eustace’s men leapfrogging their opponents ahead of Darlington’s visit to The CNG Stadium on Saturday.

Simon Weaver named an unchanged line-up for the first time this season as Marcus Day made his first start at The CNG Stadium.

The young attacker was straight into the action, forcing Samuel Hornby into a clever reaction save just two minutes into the contest.

Jordan Robertson was next to work The Harriers stopper, turning Joe Colbeck’s effort to the near post six minutes later.

Harriers then went closest of both sides to breaking the deadlock in the 27th minute when Truslove’s free kick struck the crossbar before bouncing onto the back of Peter Crook and behind.

Kidde’s number ten then forced the opener as Town’s luck once again deserted them when Truslove’s shot took a big deflection off a Town leg and ended up in the back of the net.

Weaver’s men went close to forcing a leveller as Luke Shiels directed a header towards the far post that Day was inches away from converting.

With just four minutes to go until half time, Town’s hopes of clawing their way back into the contest were dealt a significant blow when Gascoigne was shown a straight red card.

The midfielder was closing down Croasdale on the half way line, but caught the Harriers’ man with a late challenge deemed enough to deserve a red card.

The hosts made two changes at the break as Warren Burrell and Wayne Brooksby were introduced, but it was the visitors who again went close as Arthur Gnahoua cut inside on his left and shot just over.

Gnahoua then struck an equally impressive shot on target only for Crook to fly towards the top left corner and keep the attempt out.

With normal time coming to an end, Town threw men forward, including Crook, and were once again caught on the counter attack.

Substitute Brown raced to the half way line and placed the ball into an empty net to push John Eustance’s men into the final play-off position.

Harrogate Town: Crook, Colbeck, Turner, Platt, Shiels, Parker (Ainge 76), Thanoj, Gascoigne, Day, Robertson (Burrell 45), Leesley (Brooksby 45)

Subs not used: Webb-Foster, Stewart

Booked: Turner, Brooksby

Sent off: Gascoigne

Kidderminster: Hornby, Lowe, Tunnecliffe, Francis-Angol, Williams, Crosdale, Truslove (Carter 65), McQuilkin, Diesweuvwe (Brown 70), Waite, Gnahoua (Austin 79)

Subs not used: Thomas, Stambolziev

Goals: Truslove 29, Brown 90

Booked: Croasdale, Brown

Referee: P Marsden

Attendance: 728