Harrogate Town 4-1 Campion AFC

by HTAFC Staff
20 December 2016



Harrogate Town strolled into the West Riding County Cup Quarter Finals with a 4-1 win over Campion AFC at The CNG Stadium.


Marcus Day scored after just two minutes to put the hosts ahead at the break before Wayne Brooksby and Chib Chilaka added to the scoreline in the second half.

Eli Hey pulled one back for the visitors, but Danny Ellis soon restored Town’s advantage and sealed a home time with 2016 winners Bradford Park Avenue in the next round.

Simon Weaver made eight changes from Saturday’s disappointing defeat to Curzon Ashton, including recalls for Peter Crook, Ben Parker and Chib Chilaka.

Harrogate Town started in perfect fashion, as a Jack Emmett cross from the right was finely finished by youngster Day.

Campion AFC responded well, but a powerful strike from just outside the area could only fly high above Crook’s crossbar.

The next chance of the evening fell to Town winger Brooksby, who saw a fine shot from distance dramatically saved by Campion keeper Armitage.

A looping header towards goal for Campion in the 19th minute could not beat Town Goalkeeper Crook, who plucked the ball from the air.

In the 28th minute, Brooksby had another shot from the edge of the area, which Keeper Armitage grasped at the second attempt, after originally spilling the effort.

After some neat work down the left, Emmett almost claimed his second assist of the night but Chilaka couldn't find the net with his head from two yards out.

The second half resumed with a Town Kick Off, and they instantly piled on the pressure when Lewis Turner had a fine strike tipped over the bar by Campion’s Keeper.

Hey, on the break for Campion, had a low shot at Crook who could only parry the ball back into the six yard area, but Ben Parker was there with a crucial interception which prevented Campion from levelling.

Campion again piled on the pressure, as Bradshaw found space on the left and fired low at Crook, but his shot was intercepted by Town defender Parker and was cleared away from danger.

In the 62nd minute, Day found Brooksby in the box, who calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner to put Town 2-0 ahead.

Only five minutes after Brooksby’s goal, Andi Thanoj made a fine run from his own half and slotted a perfect ball through to Brooksby, who made a fantastic run down the touchline, and found Chilaka who fired home from six yards to add to Town’s lead.

Mark Bett almost caught Town Keeper Crook off guard with a 40 yard looping strike, but the Town stopper palmed the effort away from danger.

Ten minutes later, a Brooksby corner found Tom Platt’s head, which forced Campion’s stopper Armitage into another spectacular save.

Hey slotted into an empty net, as a mix up in Town’s defence resulted in the ball falling directly into the path of the oncoming Campion striker.

Minutes after, another Brooksby corner found an unmarked Ellis in the centre of the area, who guided his header into the far post Campion goal and restored Town’s three goal lead.

Harrogate Town: Crook, Colbeck, Turner, Thanoj, Ellis, Parker (Lees 69), Emmett, Platt, Chilaka, Day, Brooksby.

Subs Not Used: Burrell, Shiels, Leesley, Elliott

Goals: Hey 85

Campion AFC: Armitage, Kendall, Stocker, Jones, Brown, Hall, Cunningham, Eastwood, Hey, Bett, Bradshaw (Missin 70).

Subs Not Used: Porter, Cooke

Goals: Day 2, Brooksby 52, Chilaka 65, Ellis 88

Referee: Andrew Smith

Attendance: 126