Tamworth 3-2 Harrogate Town

by Hal Boxhall-Dockree
01 April 2017

Tamworth 3-2 Harrogate Town


Danny Newton’s goals again proved the difference as Town’s recent unsuccessful run against Tamworth continued with a 3-2 defeat at The Lamb Ground.


Newton’s goals were twice cancelled out by Dan Jezeph's own goal and Simon Ainge, though Ben Fox struck just four minutes from time to inflict a third defeat of the year on Simon Weaver’s men.

Town’s Manager made one change from last weekend’s trip to Kidderminster as Jack Emmett, who impressed off the bench at Aggborough, replaced Lewis Turner.

The first chance of the afternoon fell to Simon Ainge as JP Pittman’s flick fell to the striker ten yards out, but Town’s top scorer was unable to hit the target.

The visitors then had Peter Crook to thank for keeping the scores level as the stopper kept out goal bound strikes from Reece Styche and Newton inside the first ten minutes.

Just seconds after Ainge looked to have been hauled to the ground inside The Lambs’ penalty area, the hosts took the lead when, from the resulting kick, Newton collected possession and cleverly poked into the bottom right corner.

Town had to wait until 12 minutes before the break for their next sniff of goal as Ainge’s instinctive effort following Danny Ellis’ head back across goal went too high.

Ainge only had to wait a matter of minutes for his next opening as Emmett stood up a cross to the far post, only for the resulting header to miss the target.

It could have been two for The Lambs just five minutes before the interval as Newton’s sharp turn allowed space for the National League North’s second top scorer to strike the base of the post.

Town got back on level terms just before the hour mark as, after an almighty scramble in the Tamworth box, Burrell headed towards goal, and although the header looked to have been caught by Dan Jezeph, ended up in the back of the net!

Newton looked to craft an instant response for his side, but was again thwarted by Crook who stopped the shot from a narrow angle.

Moments after almost catching Crook out at his near post with a cheeky attempt, Styche was brought down by Town’s stopper going across the box, prompting the referee to point to the spot.

Newton stepped up confidently and found the top right corner to put the hosts back into the lead.

Tamworth’s second lead of the match lasted for just four minutes though, as Joe Leesley’s deep cross was powerfully headed over the line by Ainge, just before substitute Day could provided the finishing touch.

Leelsey then had a golden chance to give his side the lead for the first time, but was met by Jezeph’s clever low save after racing through one on one.

The hosts then made the miss pay as Ben Fox was given time to shoot on the edge of the box, with the midfielder’s attempt somehow finding its way past Crook.

Town threw everyone forward to try and salvage an equaliser in the closing stages, but couldn’t find a way through and were made to settle for just a third defeat of the year.

Harrogate Town: Crook, Colbeck, Parker, Platt, Ellis, Burrell, Emmett, Agnew, Ainge, Pittman (Day 51), Leesley

Subs not used: Elliott, Porritt, King, Willis

Goals: Jezeph OG 59, Ainge 82

Booked: Ainge, Agnew

Tamworth: Jezeph, Burns, Morley, Deeney, Jones, Lane, Davies (Powell 80), Fox, Newton, Styche (Taylor 88), Dyer (Fox 81)

Subs not used: Green, Clarke

Goals: Newton 18, 78 (p), Fox 86

Booked: Styche, Deeney

Referee: G Rhodes

Attendance: 1,096