Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
13 April 2024 Venue EnviroVent Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Match preview - Town look to make it four EnviroVent wins in a row this weekend

12 April 2024

After returning to winning ways in midweek, Town go in search of a fourth consecutive home win this weekend with Sutton United the visitors to The Envirovent Stadium.

George Thomson’s superb long-range effort secured all three points in the 1-0 win against Grimsby, a result that put Simon Weaver’s side firmly back in the mix for the playoff positions.

Our opponents

The 2023/24 season is the third consecutive season in League Two for Sutton, having earned promotion to the EFL a season after Town as National League champions.

In their first season at this level they missed out on the playoffs by just a single point and followed that up with a mid-table finish a season ago.

Experiencing a difficult season in 2023/24 they come into the game one point ahead of the drop zone, although second-bottom Colchester have two games in hand.

Prior to last weekends 3-1 defeat at home to leaders Stockport, the U’s had won four games in a row to haul themselves off the foot of the table and provide hope of avoiding relegation.

Away from home they have won four games and taken 16 points from 21 games, finding the net 20 times.

Previous meetings

Earlier this season two strikes after half-time from Jack Muldoon put Town 2-0 ahead and although Ryan Jackson netted a late consolation it wasn’t enough to prevent the first ever points being taken from the U’s at the fifth attempt.

Last season at The Envirovent Stadium David Ajiboye’s early goal proved the difference between the two sides and in 2021/22 Sutton secured a 2-0 on the final day of the season at the Envirovent Stadium with goals in each half from Craig Eastmond and Isaac Olaofe.

The man in charge

Steve Morrison is in charge, having replaced long-time boss Matt Gray at the start of January. Having previously coached at Cardiff City, he was in the hot seat at Isthmian Premier League side Hornchurch until his appointment at Sutton.

Morrison made over 600 appearances in a playing career spanning clubs such as Stevenage, Norwich, Leeds and most notably Millwall.

Ones to watch

Harry Smith has proved the standout performer in front of goal so far this season with the forward netting ten times and adding three assists since his summer move from Leyton Orient.

Charlie Lakin has scored six goals and four assists since arriving in January on loan from Burton Albion.

Former Carlisle striker Omari Patrick is closed behind in the goal tally having struck on five occasions and former Town loanee Josh Coley has seen plenty of action this season after joining on a permanent move from Exeter.

Craig Eastmond, Robert Milsom and Harry Beautyman are all familiar names stretching back to the two sides’ National League days.


The club were long time members of the Athenian and Isthmian Leagues before earning promotion to the Conference in 1989. They fell back into the Isthmian League in 1991, where they remained until being elected to the newly-formed Conference South in 2004.

They suffered a further relegation in 2008 before bouncing back in 2010/11, enduring a couple of near misses in the playoffs before winning the title in 2015/16.

In the National League, the club reached the playoffs in 2018 but were defeated at the semi-final stage, before earning a historic promotion a season later.

Before promotion to the Football League the club was most notable for its FA Cup exploits, having defeated recent-winners Coventry in 1988/89 in round three and then reached the fifth round in 2016/17, beating Leeds United before being knocked out by Arsenal.

Team news

Town boss Simon Weaver admitted his side were nursing slight knocks to both Levi Sutton and Derrick Abu.

Elsewhere, Liam Gibson continues his recovery while Lewis Thomas has returned to first-team training. 

Advertisement block

Match Reports

TOWN 2-2 Sutton United - Late equaliser denies Town victory

13 April 2024

A late goal from substitute Deon Moore denied Town victory this afternoon at The Envirovent Stadium as Sutton United fought back to earn a 2-2 draw.

Town had fallen behind to a first-half strike from Harry Beautyman before a second-half recovery saw goals from George Thomson and Jack Muldoon put Town 2-1 and on course for a vital three points before being pegged back at the very last.

Simon Weaver named the same side that started the 1-0 win against Grimsby Town in midweek after Liam Gibson, scheduled to return to the line-up after injury, was injured in the warm up.

For the visitors, defeated last time out at home to Stockport to end a run of four successive victories, there were two changes with Craig Eastmond and Ryan Jackson coming back into the side.

There was an early test for James Belshaw when Harry Smith let fly with a long-range free-kick which the Town keeper did well to turn away for a corner.

Town responded well though and went close on five minutes when Thomson’s cross was well met by Josh March to head at goal but Steve Arnold was equal to the task.

On the quarter hour mark March looked to have sprang the offside trap to take advantage of a clever Matty Daly through ball but as he was bearing down on goal a late flag frustratingly ended what looked a promising Town attack.

After 20 minutes Eastmond went into the book for a late – and heavy – challenge on Odoh that left the Town player floored and needing attention for several minutes.

Anthony O’Connor missed a great opportunity for Town midway through the first-half when he met Thomson’s free-kick but despite connecting powerfully his effort was high of the target.

There was a moment of concern minutes later when former-Town man Josh Coley fired a speculative volley at goal that Belshaw saw late and had to react sharply to gather.

The visitors were pressing the Town defence well and Smith then went close when his shot was deflected behind for a corner.

Ten minutes before the break Matty Foulds went into the book for a foul on his man by the touchline, much to the delight of the travelling  fans immediately in front of him.

Barely twenty seconds into first-half injury time the visitors grabbed the lead, probably deserved based on the balance of play. Coey did well down the right and squared for Beautyman to steer home beyond Belshaw.

Just like in midweek it didn’t take long for Town to make their mark after the break. Foulds won the ball well down the left and delivered an inch perfect ball for Thomson to slot home from just inside the area for his fourteenth league goal of the season.

Odoh then went close for Town after taking advantage of a slip by Jackson, but he was squeezed out before he get a shot away.  It was a positive opening ten minutes from Town, taking a control of the game lacking before the break.

The U’s responded with the first change of the afternoon that saw Eastmond replaced by Ollie Sanderson with Town’s first substitution coming on he hour mark with Jack Muldoon replacing March.

Levi Sutton was then inches away from threading a beautifully weighted ball through to Odoh as Town continued in search of a vital winner.

Continuing their positive approach Simon Weaver introduced Sam Folarin into the game with twenty minutes remaining in place of Odoh.

As was the case on Tuesday evening Sutton had to leave the fray early after suffering a knock. Stephen Dooley replaced him in midfield for the final fifteen minutes.

Thomson then blazed over from the edge of the area after snatching at his from a clearance before going close with a speculative attempt from just inside the Sutton half following a poor clearance from Arnold.

The decisive moment came with ten minutes remaining. Folarin’s pace was utilised with a ball over the top. The substitute retained a possession and remained patient before squaring for Muldoon to strike his finish beyond Arnold to make to 2-1.

The goal set up a tense final spell with visitors desperate to get something from the game but with Town looking like they were closing the game out substitute Moore fired low beyond Belshaw to grab a point.

Muldoon went close in the final minute when he had a one-on-one with Arnold but the Sutton keeper stood up tall to deflect the danger away and leave both sides having to settle for a point.








Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account