Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

02 December 2023 Venue Toughsheet Community Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Match preview - FA Cup weekend spent in Bolton

30 November 2023

It's a break from league action this weekend when Simon Weaver & his players travel to Bolton Wanderers with a spot in the FA Cup third round up for grabs.


Confidence will be high amongst the squad too after the spirited comeback in midweek that saw them take a point against Wrexham in front of a season high attendance, but Simon Weaver’s side face a difficult task against the League One pacesetters.

Our opponents

Wanderers currently sit top of League One, with 39 points from 18 games, looking to go a step further than last season when they were defeated in the playoffs. This is their third season back in League One after earning automatic promotion from League Two in the 2020/21 season, Town’s first season in the EFL.

They come into the game in red hot form, with Tuesday’s goalless draw at Oxford ending a run of eight consecutive wins in all competitions. The result did preserve their clean sheet streak however, stretching that particular run to seven games.

Ian Evatt is the man in charge, a familiar face to both Simon Weaver and Town fans from his time as manager at both Bolton and Barrow, with both sides promoted to the Football League at the end of the curtailed 2019/20 season.

The two previous meetings between Town and Bolton in 2020/21 saw Wanderers record a pair of 2-1 victories. Eoin Doyle and Nathan Delfouneso netted either side of half-time before George Thomson pulled a goal back for Town in the opening fixture played at Doncaster Rovers’ stadium, with the return game seeing Doyle net the winner with fifteen minutes remaining after Town took a first-half lead.

FA Cup spotlight

Town’s win away to Marine in round one makes it five seasons in succession that they have made it beyond the first round, and they will be looking to make the third round for the second ever time after reaching that stage in 2021/22.

Wanderers made it through to round two courtesy of a comfortable 4-0 home win against Solihull Moors. They have four FA Cup final victories to their name, last winning the competition in 1958 to add to their three triumphs back in the 1920’s, as well as being runners-up three times.

Ones to watch

Bolton have had a largely settled and consistent starting side this season. Dion Charles has continued where he left off last season and has hit double figures in goals already.

Josh Sheehan has five assists from midfield with George Thomason also impressing.

Ricardo Santos is a strong presence at the back in front of Nathan Baxter, who arrived from Chelsea in the summer.

Wanderers will hope to have both Randell Williams and Zac Ashworth back in contention after the pair missed recent weeks through injury.

Team news

Town continue to be without Mark Oxley, Toby Sims, Sam Folarin & James Daly but will hope for better news in relation to Matty Daly and Levi Sutton who have both rejoined full training.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Bolton 5-1 TOWN - Defeat sees Town bow out of the FA Cup

2 December 2023

Town’s FA Cup hopes were dashed away at League One leaders Bolton Wanders who put on a clinical display to advance through to round three thanks to a 5-1 victory on a bitterly cold afternoon.

There were signs in the opening stages that Town were settling into the tie but a first-half hat-trick from Jon Dadi Bodvarsson put the hosts 3-0 ahead before George Thomson reduced the arrears on the stroke of half-time.

Any hopes that Town had of staging a comeback were dashed in the opening minutes of the second half when a Dan Nlundulu brace put the game beyond reach.

Simon Weaver made one change to the side that earned a point after overturning a 2-0 deficit at home to Wrexham on Tuesday night. Rod McDonald, who was forced off at half-time in that game with an MCL injury, was replaced by Warren Burrell. There was a welcome return to the bench for Matty Daly following his recent spell on the sidelines.

The home side made seven changes from their midweek outing, a goalless draw at Oxford United that extended their clean sheet run to seven games, with only Nathan Baxter, Gethin Jones, Ricardo Almeida Santos and Jack Iredale again starting this afternoon.

The home were on the front foot within the opening minute with Warren Burrell forced to clear behind for an early corner.

But Wanderers got the lead just inside of ten minutes when Bodvarsson’s strike was too powerful for Mitchell to keep out with the ball going in off the post.

Town responded well to falling behind and a nice move saw the ball played out wide to Josh March who squared into the danger area but it was just beyond the reach of the onrushing Abraham Odoh.

Nlundulu then went close for the hosts with a header from close range but he couldn’t find the target.

Kyle Dempsey then almost caught Town out with a wicked snap shot that Mitchell did well to tip behind for a corner.

Another good move for Town saw Odoh get a shot away but there were plenty of Bolton bodies behind the ball to deflect the ball behind.

Jack Muldoon then struck a shot after Thomson’s quick thinking saw him launch a throw in behind the home defence. His effort lacked the direction and power to beat Nathan Baxter though.

On 34 minutes Town were 2-0 as that man Bodvarsson struck his second of the afternoon before he secured the match ball ten minutes later when he poked home despite Town numbers on the line.

Thomson gave Town hope on the stroke of half-time when he rifled home from the edge of the area.

Hopes of a famous comeback were dashed within five minutes of the restart when Nlundulu struck twice. His first was a powerful left-footed effort from just inside the box and his second a right-footed effort that looped over Mitchell.

Nlundulu almost had his hat-trick on 65 minutes but his finish lacked composure and he blazed high over the bar.

Simon Weaver made four changes with just under 20 minutes remaining, a move that saw Josh Falkingham, Matty Daly, Liam Gibson and Levi Sutton replace Dean Cornelius, Stephen Dooley, Burrell and Odoh.

The hosts too rang the changes with progression to round three secured, utilising their bench to make the maximum five permitted changes with goalscorers Bodvarsson and Nlundulu both withdrawn and a return to action for Zac Ashworth.

 Despite their advantage and re-shaped line-up the hosts continued to look for goals with the Town defence under pressure on more than one occasion.

Town’s fifth and final change of the afternoon saw Jeremy Sivi introduced in place of March with just over then minutes remaining.

The right foot of Thomson almost delivered a late goal for Town with his inswinging free-kick causing  problem for the Wanderers backline before the ball was cleared to safety.

Thomson then fired wide before Daly saw an effort saved by Baxter in the final minutes with Town’s final chance of the afternoon as they bowed out at the second round stage for the second successive season.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account