Match Report

Town 2 Solihull Moors 2


An opening fixture to remember ended all square as Town and Solihull played out an entertaining 2-2 draw at The CNG Stadium.

Solihull dominated the opening 45, though only had a one goal lead to show for it at the break as Nathan Blissett broke the deadlock after Paul McCallum had missed from the spot.

Mark Beck levelled it up in the second half, before a stunning strike from Joe Leesley put Town in command.

The lead lasted just nine minutes though as McCallum marked his debut with a goal, with Brendan Kiernan missing the chance to go into the final stages ahead, failing to hit the target from the spot as McCallum had done in the first half.

Simon Weaver named the same starting line-up that put four past Spennymoor in 45 minutes last week, with new signings George Smith, Kiernan, Connor Hall and Will Smith all making their competitive debuts.

The visitors had the first chance of the afternoon as Nathan Blissett raced in behind the Town defence, only to be met by James Belshaw whose one-on-one save forced the corner.

Town's stopper denied McCallum minutes later, before the Solihull striker had the chance to give his side the lead from the spot after 17 minutes.

Jamey Osborne had gone down with Jack Emmett and Brendan Kiernan in close attention, though McCallum's kick salied over the bar. 

Town's first chance came midway through the half when Kiernan cut inside from the right and unleashed a fierce shot from his left boot that deflected a fraction over.

Tim Flowers' side grabbed the opener 11 minutes before the break when Terry Hawkridge's corner was headed back across goal by Liam Daly, where Blissett was waiting to convert a close range header.

Ten minutes after the restart Town forced a corner after good work from Kiernan down the left, Leesley delivered to the back stick where Beck did the rest to level the score.

Two minutes later, a bobbling ball fall to Leesley 30 yards out, the winger shifted the ball onto his left foot and sent an absolute rocket past Ryan Boot.

The lead lasted just nine minutes though as Lee Vaughan got to the byline and stood one up to the back post where McCallum was able to atone for his earlier penalty miss with the equaliser.

Town were given the chance to regain the lead three minutes later as Jack Muldoon was brought down, but just like McCallum's first half attempt, Kiernan placed his penalty over the bar.

Kiernan thought he had won it in the 87th minute as he headed Ryan Fallowfield's cross towards goal, only for Boot to make a stunning save that ensured his side started the season with a point.

Town: Belshaw, G Smith, Falkingham, Burrell, Emmett (Kerry 71), Beck, Leesley, Kiernan, Muldoon (Stead 81), Hall, W Smith (Fallowfield 69)

Subs not used: Cracknell, Brown

Goals: Beck 55, Leesley 57

Booked: Kiernan, Leesley

Solihull Moors: Boot, Reckord, Storer, Daly, Gudger, Osborne (Carter 71), McCallum (Stenson 85), Hawkridge, Blissett (Wright 78), Vaughan, Howe

Subs not used: Williams, Hancox

Goals: Blissett 34, McCallum 66

Booked: Storer

Referee: A Miller

Attendance: 1,045
Match Result
Beck 55, Leesley 57
Solihull Moors
Solihull Moors
Blissett 34, McCallum 66
The CNG Stadium
3:00PM Saturday 03 August 2019
Attendance 1045
This site, like many others, uses cookies to function and to help us understand how to make your journey better. To find out more about our use of cookies and your options, please click here and to find out more about how we use data, please click here to read our privacy policy.

If you would like to turn off non-required cookies (such as any third-party cookies) please turn the toggle to off.
Additional Cookies
Accept and close