Match Report

Forest Green 1-3 Town - Town Spoil Forest Green's Title Plans With 3-1 Win


Harrogate Town provided a twist in the SkyBet League Two title race on Saturday with a 3-1 win away at Forest Green, who went into the fixture top of the league.

First half penalties from Jack Muldoon and Jamile Matt sent the sides into the break level, though Town upped the performance levels for the second half and ran out worthy winners.

Jack Diamond's tidy finish in the 46th minute set the ball rolling, before Lloyd Kerry sealed the win with a goal fitting for the midfield talisman's final away appearance.

Simon Weaver named the same starting XI that beat Carlisle 3-0 a week ago, however Lloyd Kerry and Calum Kavanagh were both deemed fit enough for a place on the bench.

With a carnival atmosphere at The New Lawn as supporters celebrated their club's rise to League One, the hosts started the brighter with Baily Cargill going close from a corner early on.

Jack Aitchison was next to go close as he fired wide, with Luke Armstrong going close to meeting Jack Diamond's cross at the other end.

Just after the half way point of the half Joe Cracknell was called into action to keep out Matt's downward header, before an almighty scramble somehow ended with Town's clean sheet in tact.

Nathan Sheron put in a great challenge initially, before Warren Burrell cleared Kane Wilson's flick off the line, minutes before a Cracknell double save finally let Town off the hook.

Muldoon headed over and Nicky Cadden found the side netting as the sides exchanged chances, before a tale of two penalties told the story of the first 45.

The first went in Town's favour as Diamond was clipped by Wilson, allowing Muldoon to beat Luke McGee from the spot after a lengthly delay.

Referee Chris Polland evened things up in first half stoppage time thoough as he penalised Nathan Sheron for the slightest touch on Wilson inside the box, with Matt stepping up to level from the spot.

Town's lead was restored inside a minute of the restart as Alex Pattison's cross was cleared only to the edge of the area, where Diamond took a touch to control before smashing the ball into the bottom corner with his left foot.

Armstrong had the chance to put Town two ahead in the 68th minute after Pattison's through ball released the frontman, but his finish was too high.

Kerry had been introduced in the 63rd minute, making his final appearance away from home and marked it with a trademark goal!

After Armstrong and Diamond had kept the attack alive, Muldoon was able to poke into the path of Kerry who made no mistake placing his finish past McGee.

With the League Two title slipping out of their grasp, Forest Green threw everything at Town, but another goalline clearance, this time from Sheron, prevented the hosts halving the deficit.

It was nearly 4-1 in the closing stages as Pattison ran through on goal, though the tireless midfielder was denied by McGee with Town claiming al three points.

Town: Cracknell, Burrell, Thomson, Sheron, Pattison, Muldoon, Austerfield, Diamond, McArdle, Armstrong, Power (Kerry 63)

Subs not used: Kavanagh, Beck, Martin, Legge, Giles

Goals: Muldoon 40(p), Diamond 46, Kerry 73

Booked: Thomson

Forest Green: McGee, Wilson, Cargill (McAteer 70), Adams, Aitchison, Cadden, Matt, Moore-Taylor (Sweeney 19), Hendry (Young 62), Godwin-Malife, March

Subs not used: Thomas, Bernard, Stevenson, Diallo

Goals: Matt (45+p) 

Referee: C Polland

Attendance: 4,040 (56 away)
Match Result
Forest Green
Forest Green
Matt 45+(p)
Muldoon 40(p), Diamond 46, Kerry 73
The New Lawn Stadium
3:00PM Saturday 30 April 2022
Attendance 4060
Harrogate Town AFC
By Pixelbuilders | Leeds Digital Agency