Harrogate Town News

Town Lift George Smith Trophy

Town lifted the first George Smith Memorial Trophy as Harrogate Railway were beaten 2-1 at The CNG Stadium.
Second half goals from Aaron Haswell and Nick Hutton put Town in a good position from where, despite a late Railway rally, they were able to claim the silverware.

The contest started at a high tempo, with both sides desperate to claim a first bit of silverware of the season.

The ball ended up in the net three times in the first half, twice for Town and once for Railway, but each attempt was ruled out as the sides entered the break level.

Haswell, who was one of the unfortunate trio to have a strike ruled out, broke the deadlock seven minutes into the second half with a low strike through the 'keeper's legs.

Railway nearly levelled five minutes later, but an impressive Joe Wilton double save kept Town ahead.

The miss would prove costly though as, with 18 minutes to play, Hutton struck a sweet volley from the edge of the area that beat the stranded 'keeper.

Railway responded with a goal five minutes later as Jake Boyd headed home a left wing cross from close range, setting up an exciting finish.

The visitors looked for a late equaliser, but were met by a disciplined Town back line that wouldn't give up any chances.

Town U21s: Wilton, Fergus, Chippendale, Robinson, Steele, Clarke, White, Patience, Haswell, Barker, Hutton

Subs: Dobson, Myers, Mason, Gosling, Noon

Harrogate Railway: Latimer, Caufield, Ferguson, Swale, McCrum, Fitzgerald, Jordan, Lancaster, Sykes, Shields, Greenway

Subs: Boyd, Testagerish, Heeley, Newsome
This site, like many others, uses cookies to function and to help us understand how to make your journey better. To find out more about our use of cookies and your options, please click here and to find out more about how we use data, please click here to read our privacy policy.

If you would like to turn off non-required cookies (such as any third-party cookies) please turn the toggle to off.
Additional Cookies
Accept and close