Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Farsley Celtic 3 Harrogate Town 1

19 July 2017

Match Reports

Farsley Celtic 3 Harrogate Town 1

19 July 2017

A young Town side fell to a 3-1 defeat at Farsley Celtic at Throstle Nest on Wednesday night.

James Walshaw wasted no time in scoring against his former employers, heading home after just five minutes, though Town were quick to equalise as Marcus Day finished off Rob Worrall's through ball just minutes later. 

The pick of the goals came midway through the first half as Celts left back Isaac Baldwin found the top corner from 30 yards.

Farsley's third was less glamorous, but just as important as Richard Marshall smashed home from close range to double his side's advantage and ensure Town could not mount a comeback.

Simon Weaver made wholesale changes from Saturday's 2-1 victory over Hartlepool, while former skipper Danny Ellis captained Farsley.

The hosts took the lead just five minutes in when Ryan Watson sent a deep cross in from the right that evaded Chandler Hallwood and allowed former Town forward Walshaw to head into an empty net.

Town continued the frantic start to the evening with an equaliser just four minutes later as Rob Worrall's through pass found Marcus Day unmarked one on one and able to beat the keeper, despite the best efforts of a defender on the line.

Only a series of smart saves from Hallwood prevented Farsley quickly regaining their advantage as the stopper first denied Paul Walker, before keeping Ellis' deflected looping header from dropping under the crossbar.

When Adam Lakeland's men eventually restored their advantage there was nothing Hallwood could do about it as Baldwin curled a magnificent effort into the top corner.

Town again looked for a quick response, but found Graeme McKibbin in great form as the ‘keeper beat away Worrall's strike before keeping out Dom Knowles' follow up.

Not satisfied with his audacious strike, Baldwin impressed yet again seven minutes before the break as the left back made a lung bursting run in behind the Town defence before curling just wide of the far post.

Lakeland's side doubled their lead minutes before half time as Marshall was first to react to a loose ball inside the Town area and smashed home from close range.

Farsley started the second period strongly, but despite some neat football, could not craft an opening with Town looking more solid than they had done in the first.

Second half substitute Luke Parkin was the first to test the ‘keeper, but his bending shot was well saved at full stretch by Hallwood.

Town's young stopper was again called into action after 75 minutes to beat away George Gomersall's long range drive.

With both sides making changes throughout, the second half failed to live up to the excitement of the first, and Town's young side could not mount a comeback.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account