Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Harrogate Town 3 Gateshead 0

29 July 2017

Match Reports

Harrogate Town 3 Gateshead 0

29 July 2017

Harrogate Town ended their pre-season campaign with a win as National League Gateshead were rolled over 3-0 at The CNG Stadium.

Two Jordan Thewlis goals within five first half minutes did the damage as the striker finished off George Thomson's through ball before capitalising on a short back pass to put Town in a commanding position after 21 minutes.

After providing the first, Thomson fired home Town's third and final goal of the afternoon in emphatic style; finding the bottom left corner from 20 yards after Thewlis' pull back.

Simon Weaver selected a strong line-up with Thewlis partnering Simon Ainge up front, while Neli Aspin opted for a 3-4-3 formation spearheaded by Richard Peniket.

Thomson had the first shot of the afternoon, but his powerful left footed strike was beaten away by James Montgomery.

The visiting stopper denied Thomson again two minutes later, keeping out the striker's shot after Ryan Fallowfield's clever pull back.

The busy Thomson then created Town's opener; lifting a pass over the top of the Gateshead defence that Thewlis could run on to and guide into the top left of the goal.

Aspin's side had barely recovered from going a goal down before Thewlis struck again to double his tally.

The striker was first to react to Fraser Horsfall's underhit back pass before rounding Montgomery and tapping into an empty net.

Peniket tried to force his side back into the contest with ten minutes left to play of the half, though James Belshaw kept out the striker's shot comfortably.

Despite a strong start to the half from Gateshead, Town increased their lead afer 12 second half minutes as Thomson lashed home from 20 yards following a mazy run from Jack Emmett and clever Thewlis lay-off.

Robbie Tinkler tried to reduce the deficit with 20 minutes to go after being left unmarked from a corner, but fired high and wide.

Marcus Day had been introduced after 51 minutes following a knock to half time substutute Dom Knowles, and his first action was to see his shot blocked after good hold up play from Ainge.

The visitors managed to keep a fair share of the possession in the second 45, but rarely tested Belshaw with Neil Byrne's header way off target in the closing stages as Town ended pre-season with a win.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account