Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 2 Leamington 2

21 October 2017

Town were forced to settle for a point against Leamington on Saturday afternoon after an entertaining 2-2 draw at The CNG Stadium.

Junior English gave his side a surprise lead after 24 minutes, but George Thomson levelled 11 minutes later with a well taken strike into the far corner.
English then turned Joe Leesley's cross into his own net ten minutes after the restart to put Town ahead, but the visitors were given the chance to level with 20 to play as a penalty kick was awarded for a high foot; and Rob Thompson-Brown took the opportunity.
Both sides could have gone away with all three points, but an 89th minute point blank save from Leesley's effort ensured the contest ended all square.
Simon Weaver handed a first start to on loan Sunderland striker Andrew Nelson, while Jack Vann replaced the injured Ryan Fallowfield at right back.
The visitors started well and twice went close early on as Callum Gittings headed over before Kieran Dunbar's effort looked to have deflected past James Belshaw, only for the Town stopper to stick out a hand and make the save.
Town were enjoying the lions' share of possession, but with only Jordan Thewlis' saved low shot to show for it before the visitors took the lead 24 minutes in.
A long ball into the Town area was only punched away by Belshaw as far as English, who calmly brought the ball down and fired into the net.
Ben O'Hanlon and Thomson went close to levelling shortly after, but O'Hanlon's effort was blocked while Thomson's free kick was a fraction too high.
Thomson did pull his side level ten minutes before the break though as Jack Emmett broke from midfield and found Thewlis, who offloaded into the path of Thomson to arrow into the far corner.
There was still time in the half for Emmett to flash wide of the post after Thewlis' lay off, but Town headed into the interval all square.
Town started the second half trying to breach the visitors defence and took the lead 12 minutes after the restart as Leesley's cross was headed into his own net by The Brakes' goalscorer English.
Leesley almost created another four minutes later as his deep free kick was met by Warren Burrell, but Breeden was able to claim the header.
With Town seemingly in control of the contest, Leamington were handed a way back into the match as a penalty was awarded for what looked like a high foot, allowing Thompson-Brown to level from the spot.
Terry Kennedy tried to initiate a winning goal for his side with ten minutes remaining, driving forward and finding Mitch Curry whose powerful strike sailed over the bar.
Leamington had their goalkeeper to thank in the 89th minute for keeping the score level as Breeden kept out Leesley's poked finish at point blank range, and ensured his side went home with a point.
Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Vann, O'Hanlon, Agnew, Kennedy, Burrell, Thomson, Emmett, Nelson, Thewlis (Curry 72), Leesley
Subs not used: Middleton, Cracknell, Burdett, Gooda
Goals: Thomson 35, English O.G. 57
Leamington: Breeden, Mace, Gudger (Bishop 93), Clarke (Taundry 38), Hood, English, Dunbar, Gittings (Canavan 67), Revan, Edwards, Thompson-Brown
Subs not used: Moore, Hill
Goals: English 24, Thompson-Brown 70(p)
Booked: Edwards, Canavan, Breeden
Referee: A Herczeg
Attendance: 1,021

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account