Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

AFC Telford 1 Town 5

9 September 2017

Match Reports

AFC Telford 1 Town 5

9 September 2017

Harrogate Town returned to the top of the National League North in style after a 5-1 win over AFC Telford at New Bucks Head.

They had to do it from a goal down though, as Jake Wright's goal on his first start to the club sent the sides into the break level after Anthony Dwyer had opened the scoring.

While the first half was fairly even, the second half was anything but as Town hit four without reply.

Terry Kennedy's header edged Town into the lead after 55 minutes, before a quickfire George Thomson double put the visitors out of sight.

With the hosts reduced to ten men following Connor Johnson's dismissal, Jack Emmett ran clear of the defence and made it five to seal a comprehensive win for Town.

Simon Weaver made two changes from Tuesday night's first loss of the season to Salford as Wright and Terry Kennedy were brought in.
The first action of the afternoon came when Jack Emmett poked George Thomson's cross towards goal only for Jas Singh to make a smart reaction save, though Emmett was in an offside position.
Telford then began to dominate proceedings and went close after eight minutes as Elliot Newby's back post header looped onto the roof of the net.
The hosts then got the reward for their promising start as Dwyer bundled home from close range after Shane Sutton's powerful header was blocked on the line by Josh Falkingham.
Falling behind seemed to give Town a wakeup call, and Weaver's side were level just six minutes later as Wright found the net.
Joe Leesley's deep corner was headed back across goal by Thomson where Wright was waiting to head home from close range.
Leesley almost found the net himself ten minutes before the break as his swirling free kick looked to be creeping under the crossbar, only for Singh to punch clear.
Town looked a much better side after falling behind, and edged ahead ten minutes after the interval as Kennedy glanced Joe Leesley's free kick into the back of the net.
It was almost three minutes later as Jordan Thewlis was released in behind the Telford defence, though Singh made an impressive standing save to scupper the forward's one on one opportunity.
Much like Town had done in the first half, The Bucks responded to falling behind and almost levelled through John Marsden's glancing header, though James Belshaw held the attempt.
Thewlis went close to finding the net again after 67 minutes as he threw himself at Ben Parker's cross, but headed over the bar.
The visitors were playing some easy on the eye football and almost created a second goal for debutant Wright with 20 minutes ago, though the forward turned Leesley's cross just past the post.
A third Town goal eventually arrived in the 72nd minute when Thomson produced a moment of real individual quality to drill the ball into the bottom left corner.
Thomson claimed his second of the afternoon three minutes later arriving at the back post to finish Wright's impressive cross and put the result beyond doubt.
Telford's afternoon got worse on 79 minutes when Connor Johnson brought down Wright and was shown a second yellow card.
The scoring was rounded off in the 85th minute as Emmett burst through the defence and beat Singh at the second attempt to see Town return to the top of the table.
Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield (Middleton 77), Parker, Falkingham, Kennedy, Burrell, Thomson, Emmett, Wright, Thewlis (Morgan 71), Leesley (Burdett 77)
Subs not used: Cracknell, Day
Goals: Wright 26, Kennedy 55, Thomson 72, 75, Emmett 85
Booked: Falkingham
AFC Telford: Singh, White, Gough, Johnson, Sutton, Cowans, Dwyer, Lussey (Royle 65), Dinanga (Murphy 65), Marsden (McGrory 80), Newby
Subs not used: Martinez, Marsh
Goals: Dwyer 20
Booked: Gough, Johnson
Sent off: Johnson
Attendance: 1,018
Referee: B Speedie

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account