Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 1 Salford 2

5 September 2017

A spirited second half performance was not enough to prevent Salford inflicting Town's first defeat of the season on Tuesday night.

The hosts trailed for most of the evening following Michael Phenix's second minute opener, though Town looked a different side after the break and levelled in the 47th minute via Joe Leesley's penalty.
Town looked the more likely to go and claim a winner, but it was Salford who snatched victory as Captain Louis Maynard headed home from a corner late in the game.
Simon Weaver made two changes from Saturday's draw with Brackley as Bailey Gooda made his first start for the club in place of Terry Kennedy.
Elsewhere Marcus Day replaced the suspended Jack Vann while loan signings Noel Burdett and Jake Wright were named on the bench.
Town made the worst possible start to the evening conceding in the second minute as Richard Allen sent a cleared corner back into a good area where Phenix was able to scramble home.
The early setback looked to have rocked Town, who did well to survive a couple of nervy moments at the back as Salford applied the pressure.
Midway through the first half The Ammies put together a clever move that ended with James Belshaw keeping out Jack Redshaw's long range drive.
Town's main threat was coming from Jordan Thewlis whose pace in behind was troubling the Salford back line, though Carl Piergianni made a crucial interception to cut out the forward's low cross.
The hosts' first shot of the evening came through Joe Leesley, though did not trouble Maxime Crocombe as two Warren Burrell blocks in quick succession at the other end kept Salford out.
With eight minutes to go until the break, George Thomson thought he had unlocked The Ammies' defence, though his intricate pass got away from the feet of Thewlis.
Allen had a great chance to put his side two up going into the interval, but blazed over from eight yards after a low pull back from the left.
With seconds remaining in the half, Jack Emmett launched a counter attack carrying the ball almost the full length of the field before finding Thomson whose shot was kept out by MaximeCrocombe.
Weaver looked to his bench at half time, introducing Ben Middleton and loan signing Jake Wright for Gooda and Day, and Town's Manager saw instant rewards.
Ryan Fallowfield's cross was handled by a visiting defender and the referee pointed to the spot, allowing Leesley to step up and equalise for the second game in a row.
Town had the ball in the net again before the hour mark as Wright converted Thewlis' rebound, though the linesman had flagged the forward offside.
Ten minutes later Thewlis almost recreated his goal against Chorley, beating his marker for pace and aiming for the bottom corner, only this time missing by a yard.
Town's newest addition Wright was impressing the home fans, and almost put his side ahead after cutting inside and curling just over on his right foot.
Despite the hosts being firmly on the front foot, Salford took the lead with 13 minutes to go as Captain Maynard headed down into the net unmarked from a corner.
Emmett almost provided an instant response, volleying towards the bottom corner only to see Crocombe tip the ball around the post at full stretch.
Ben O'Hanlon was next to try and level with a dipping effort from 35 yards that sailed narrowly over the bar as Salford held on to inflict Town's first defeat of the season.
Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield (O'Hanlon 67), Parker, Falkingham, Gooda (Middleton 45), Burrell, Thomson, Emmett, Day (Wright 45), Thewlis, Leesley
Subs not used: Cracknell, Burdett
Goals: Leesley 47 (p)
Booked: Falkingham
Salford: Crocombe, Nottingham, Askew (Dieseruvwe 65), Burton, Piergianni, Maynard, Shelton, Allen (Dudley 65), Phenix, Redshaw (Beesley 80), Touray
Subs not used: Aghaygre, McHale
Goals: Phenix 2, Maynard 77
Booked: Shelton, Dieseruvwe
Referee: D Hulme
Attendance: 1137

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account