Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 3 Penistone Church 0

16 September 2017

Harrogate Town booked their place in the Emirates FA Cup Third Qualifying Round with a 3-0 win over Penistone Church at The CNG Stadium.

 It took until the 57th minute for Town to open the scoring as Terry Kennedy scored his fourth goal in seven appearances; converting Jack Emmett's pass at the back post.
Emmett then got the hosts second, applying the final touch to Josh Falkingham's shot, before Ben Parker converted Ryan Fallowfield's cross to score his first Harrogate goal and seal the win.
Simon Weaver showed no signs of taking his opponents from further down the football pyramid lightly, naming the same starting 11 that beat Southport 4-1 on Tuesday night.
George Thomson was the first Town player to try and open the scoring, but the midfielder's long range shot travelled just past the left upright.
Jordan Thewlis should have put the hosts ahead after a quarter of an hour, but somehow missed the target after Jack Emmett had won possession in Penistone's penalty area and squared for the forward.
Josh Falkingham went close minutes after, curling a first time shot towards goal from just outside the area, but seeing his effort bounce back off the cross bar.
Warren Burrell then thought he had broken the deadlock, but saw his back post header cleared off the line, before Thomson's rebound was well blocked.
Both Leesley and Thomson continued to pepper the visiting goal, but Leesley saw his free kick deflected behind for a corner before Thomson's well hit left footed strike was a fraction too high.
The NCEL Premier Division side had their best chance of the half six minutes before the break as Kieran Ryan headed a deep free kick back across goal towards Captain Brett Lovell who headed just over the bar.
Town then rattled the woodwork for the second time of the afternoon to end the half as Leesley free kick looked to be finding the top corner, but only found the frame of the goal.
Thomson tried his luck again early in the second half, this time from his own half as he tried to catch out Jake Greatorex, though the young stopper recovered to catch the attempt.
Town finally found the elusive opener after 57 minutes as Emmett burst into the box and found Kennedy at the back post for an easy finish.
Thomson again went close from a set piece, but It was Emmett who claimed Topwn's decisive second goal.
Falkingham had unleashed a shot from the edge of the area that looked to take a nick off Emmett before finding the corner.
Town fans were then treated to a rare Parker goal as the full back met Ryan Fallowfield's deep cross at the back post to volley home.
Plucky Penistone did come close to ending a memorable afternoon with a goal, but twice saw their late efforts cleared from the line as Town booked their place in the next round.
Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield, Parker (Vann 76), Falkingham, Kennedy, Burrell, Thomson (Agnew 72), Emmett (Burdett 72), Leesley, Thewlis, Morgan
Subs not used: Cracknell, Middleton, Day, Gooda
Goals: Kennedy 57, Emmett 70, Parker 75
Booked: Kennedy
Penistone Church: Greatorex, Whittington (Barnett 80), Young (Russell 85), Ellis (Ring 80), Brennan, Lovell, Richards, Corduri, Keightley, Ryan, Beaumont
Subs not used: Ambler, Birch
Booked: Richards, Brennan
Referee: A Kirkley
Attendance: 653

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account