Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 2 Southport 0

14 April 2018

Match Reports

Town 2 Southport 0

14 April 2018

Town made it nine league wins from the last ten at The CNG Stadium on Saturday with a 2-0 victory over Southport.

Simon Weaver's side were ahead after just four minutes as Mark Beck converted Ryan Fallowfield's low cross from close range.

Though the score was kept level by an important James Belshaw save at the end of the first half, Fallowfield created Town's second in the second half, pulling back for George Thomson to finish and seal the three points.

Weaver made one change from last weekend's victory at York City as Mark Beck replaced fellow goalscorer at Bootham Crescent Jake Wright, who missed out through injury.

Town made a great start to the contest and almost edged ahead in the third minute as Jack Emmett burst into the box in trademark fashion before poking just over.

The hosts took the lead a minute later as Beck was able to direct Ryan Fallowfield's low cross past Mark Halstead from close range for his tenth goal of the season.

Southport's first attempt on goal arrived in the 16th minute as Dion Charles cut inside and pulled the trigger, but sent the ball high over James Belshaw's cross bar.

Just as the half hour mark approached, Back almost repeated his earlier trick as a low pass from Josh Falkingham split the Southport defence and found Fallowfield, whose low cross was inches away from being tapped home by Beck.

Five minutes later Fallowfield came to his side's rescue as Belshaw's punch fell to Dion Charles who managed to round the stopper and shoot, only for Town's full back to block on the line.

The last action of the half saw Belshaw make a stunning one handed save to keep his side a goal to the good at half time as the stopper denied Jason Gilchrist's back post header low to his left.

Southport looked the better side in the opening exchanges of the first half and went close through Elliot Osborne who got on the end of a well worked passing move, but shot over.

A minute after surrendering the chance, Thomson made it two as the midfielder powered Fallowfield's pull back high into the net past Halstead.

Thomson almost grabbed his second in the 64th minute, but his left footed strike from range was beaten away by the visiting goalkeeper; with Dom Knowles heading the resulting corner wide.

With 19 minutes remaining Falkingham released Emmett in behind the Southport defense, who sent a cross in toward Beck, but the striker couldn't get over the ball enough to guide his header under the cross bar.

Osborne tried to fire his side back into the contest with a fierce shot in the 84th minute, but the impressive Belshaw was able to tip over the bar.

With the sun shining bright on The CNG Stadium, Town were able to play out the closing stages and seal a win that keeps Weaver's side within touching distance of top spot.

Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield, Parker, Falkingam, Burrell, McCombe, Thomson, Emmett, Beck, Knowles (Thewlis 79), Leesley (Agnew 81)

Subs not used: Swain, Cracknell, Kennedy

Goals: Beck 4, Thomson 58

Southport: Halstead, Richards, Kelly (Whittle 85), Morgan, Howson, Marx, Osborne, Lynch, Gilchrist, Dawson (Hannah 72), Charles

Subs not used: Priestley, Smith, Worsnop

Referee: D Underwood

Attendance: 1,386

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account