Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 2 Barnet 0

14 August 2018

Match Reports

Town 2 Barnet 0

14 August 2018

After three consecutive draws, Harrogate Town claimed a first win at National League level as Barnet were seen off at The CNG Stadium.

Goals from Jack Emmett and Liam Kitching within three first half minutes swung the tie in the hosts favour; Emmett's opener a brilliant cushioned finish from the edge of the area.

Barnet's best chance of a comeback was through Shaquile Coulthirst's 52nd minute penalty, but the spot kick was denied by the in form James Belshaw.

Simon Weaver made one change from the weekend's 1-1 draw at Bromley as Joe Leesley returned to the starting XI, replacing Aaron Williams.

The first chance of the afternoon fell the way of the hosts as Jack Emmett broke forward at pace and found George Thomson on the right, but the Town winger agonisingly missed the far post.

Thomson found himself on the ball in almost exactly the same position three minutes later after a pass from Jack Muldoon, but again couldn't squeeze his finish inside the upright.

After his weekend heroics, James Belshaw was called into action after 20 minutes, after Shaquile Coulthirst was played in behind defence, the Town stopper rushed out to block with his feet.

Town claimed the lead three minutes later as Thomson's cross was deflected up in the air before being partially cleared to the edge of the box, where Emmett was waiting to expertly guide the bouncing ball into the right corner.

Weaver's side doubled their advantage three minutes later when Leesley's corner was headed goalwards at the back post by Callum Howe, before Kitching was able to turn the ball in from a yard.

Kitching almost claimed his second goal seven minutes before the break, climbing highest to head Leesley's corner wide of the post as Town entered the interval two goals up.

Muldoon went close in the opening stages of the second half, before Barnet Captain Craig Robosn managed to get his head to a corner, oly to see his attempt clip the bar on the way behind.

Seven minutes after the restart Barnet were given the chance to pull a goal back from the spot after Byron Harrison went down under the challenge of Howe, with the Referee quick to point to the spot.

Coulthirst stepped up to take, but Belshaw denied the striker and kept his clean sheet in tact.

Seeing their spot kick saved put a dent in any hopes Barnet had of making a comeback, with both Josh Falkingham and Emmett going close to increasing Town's lead at the other end.

Despite a drop in the visitors' tempo, Belshaw was once again needed in the 78th minute, getting his body in the way of the ball after it had come off Muldoon and bounced goalwards.

Town almost claimed a third goal as substitute Aaron Williams won possession high up the pitch and exchanged passes with fellow change Liam Agnew, but poked just wide of the post in what was the last goal mouth action of a dominant Town display.

Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Burrell, Kitching, Falkingham, Howe, Langmead, Thomson, Emmett, Knowles (Agnew 79), Muldoon (Williams 84), Leesley

Subs not used: Cracknell, Parker, Kerry

Booked: Kitching

Goals: Emmett 23, Kitching 26

Barnet: Cousins, Alexander, Johnson, Robson, Adams, Harrison (Walker 69), Coulthirst, Taylor, Kyei (Sparkes 64), Sweeney, Mason-Clark

Subs not used: Matrevics, Fonguck, Tutonda

Referee: S Lucas

Attendance: 1381

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account