Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 3 Solihull 1

25 August 2018

Match Reports

Town 3 Solihull 1

25 August 2018

Harrogate Town came out on top in battle of seventh vs. sixth as Solihull Moors were beaten 3-1 at The CNG Stadium.

 Liam Kitching's early goal had been cancelled out, before George Thomson and Callum Howe struck in the final 15 minutes to seal a third successive victory.

Simon Weaver named an unchanged side after the win against Aldershot last week, with Mark Beck returning to the squad.
It was a positive start for Town; after some pressing play from Solihull, Joe Leesley whipped in a killer cross which found Dom Knowles in the middle, Knowles effort was then flicked over the line by Kitching to put Harrogate ahead the seventh minute. 
Harrogate weren't in the lead for long though, three minutes later the ball fell to Solihull striker Adi Yussuf who struck it on the half volley into the bottom corner.
In the opening ten minutes it seemed that the fans at the CNG stadium were in for an entertaining game, Harrogate won a succession of corners after the equaliser but failed to make anything of there chances.
Solihull continued to get forward well, coming up to the half hour mark they used fullback Jamie Reckord's pace to get in behind the Town defence and whip in a cross but the goal scorer Yussuf headed just over the bar.
Despite the end to end start, as the half went on the goal scoring opportunities were limited for both sides as the first half closed out.
Leesley won a free kick on the edge of the box which was taken by George Thomson but was cleared well by the Solihull defence.
Moments later Josh Falkingham won another freekick on the edge of the box, Thomson steeped up again but couldn't get this one past the Solihulll wall.
Falkingham spearheaded a good attacking spell for Town in the closing moments of the first half, Knowles held up the ball well and found Falkingham on the edge of the box who struck it hard but couldn't get it past Solihull stopper Ryan Boot.  
The second half started with a similar intensity to how the first half ended, Leesley won a corner in the 49th minute which he then took and found Kelvin Langmead in the middle, but his header was saved and followed up by Muldoon who hit the woodwork.
Tim Flowers' side looked like a well drilled, organised outfit who defended efficiently and made it hard for Weaver's men to make any concrete chances in the second half.
Harrogate eventually broke down Solihull in the 75th minute; Leesley playing through Thomson in the box, who cut inside and found the near corner of the goal with his left foot.
Then only a few minutes later, the returning Mark Beck won a corner for Town which was then taken by Leesley who picked out Howe at the back post to put town 3-1 up in the 78th minute.
Moments later it could nearly have been four for Town when, having won the corner which gave Town the third goal, Beck's return nearly got a lot better with the tall striker missing a header in the box.
Beck and Leesley could've have added to the score line had play gone their way in the closing five minutes, both attackers were found with shooting opportunities but failed to test the keeper. Falkingham then tried an effort from 50 yards which also didn't test the Moors stopper.
They were to be the last chances of the game as the final whistle went shortly afterwards, Harrogate Town were now up to third following three wins on the bounce in the Vanarama National League.
Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Burrell, Howe, Langmead, Kitching, Falkingham, Emmett (Kerry 59'), Thomson, Leesley, Muldoon (Beck 68'), Knowles (Agnew 83'),

Subs not used: Cracknall, Williams

Goals: Kitching 7', Thomson 75', Howe 78'

Booked: Leesley

Solihull Moors: Boot, Williams, Reckord, Storer, Daly, Osborne, Carter (Maxwell 81') Yussuf (Grudger 79'), Hylton (Sweeney 85'), Wright, O'Keeffe
Subs not used: Carline, Murphy
Goal: Yussuf 10'
Booked: Maxwell
Referee: Leigh Doughty
Attendance: 1180

Report by Isaac Martin

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account