Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 0 Guiseley 2

17 December 2018

Match Reports

Town 0 Guiseley 2

17 December 2018

Playing their second game in four days, Town returned to The CNG Stadium looking to advance in yet another cup competition after overcoming North Yorkshire rivals York City in the FA Trophy at the weekend.

In another Yorkshire derby Town faced Guiseley AFC who were looking to go on another Cup run having been knocked out by League One Fleetwood Town in the Emirates FA Cup second round.

First team captain Josh Falkingham oversaw proceedings and had the help of experienced pro's Joe Cracknell, Michael Woods, Mark Beck and Aaron Williams to help in a youthful Town side.

Guiseley put out a strong side but that didn't seem to faze the youthful Harrogate side with midfielder Sam Barker looking lively in the opening exchanges.

Town's first chance of the game came courtesy of Williams, a Beck flick released Williams but the Guiseley stopper managed to get a touch on the ball.

Chances were limited for both sides in the opening exchanges, in the 18th minute Neil Patience whipped a fierce free kick form the edge of the box, but the Lions keeper Green was equal to the effort.   

That was followed by a great run and ball down the right-hand side by Gus Steele, which was chased by Williams, but he couldn't find Beck in the middle.

Guiseley were struggling to make any chances in the final third, Paul Clayton was looking lively for visitors, but young Town defender Kwame Boateng Put in an impressive performance in the opening half an hour.

Harrogate's second big chance of the game fell to Barker, he was found in the box by Beck, but the youngster sent his first time shot over the bar.

In the 36th minute Town performed a lovely move down the left-hand side as Nuno Perriera and Barker linked up well, which allowed them to play through Beck but he striked his effort straight at the keeper.

Falkingham, who was overlooking the side for the game will have been pleased with his sides first half performance and they continued in the second half with Barker still impressing.

But it was Guiseley who had the first effort of the second half, after a long ball over the top released the Lions attack but Cracknell managed to stand tall and pull off a lovely save.

But it was Guisley who broke the deadlock first, after some continued pressure from the visitors they won a corner which was then headed into the back of net by Joseph Cummings.

Despite falling behind the Harrogate youngsters still impressed, Boateng and Steele were impressive all evening from defence.

Town nearly equalised in the 77th minute, substitute Fergus released Williams in behind with an excellently weighted through ball, but Green sticked out a leg and managed to pull off a save.

Town would go onto rue that missed chance though after despite what looked like a foul on Perriera, in the build-up ex- Nigerian international Olukayode Odejayi finished off a low cross form the right-hand side.

Chances were limited in the closing 10 minutes from both sides, Barker managed to skip through the Lions defence, but his cross was dealt with well by the Guiseley defence.

Then at the other end Louis Walsh almost made it three but hit the side netting after good work from Odejayi.

Despite a disappointing result result for the young Town side, it was a performance they could be proud of! Great news for the future.

Report by Isaac Martin

Town: Cracknell, Boateng, Perreira, Steele, Nimick, White, Woods, Patience (Fergus 73), Barker, Williams, Beck

Subs not used: Durkin, Chippendale, Clark, Richardson

Booked: Boateng

Guiseley: Green, Dyche, Morrison, Purver, Cummings, Odejayi, Walsh, Harvey, Clayton (Thornton 71), Smith, Walters (Halls 66)

Subs not used: Newall, Paley, Worsnop

Goals: Cummings 59, Odejayi 78

Referee: E Simms

Attendance: 158

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account