Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 2 York City 1

15 December 2018

Match Reports

Town 2 York City 1

15 December 2018

Harrogate Town came from behind yet again to confirm their place in the Buildbase FA Trophy 2nd round thanks to goals from Dom Knowles and Liam Kithcing in truly terrible winter weather conditions.

Despite the cold conditions, within seconds Town were through on goal and Jack Muldoon, who picked up his 10th goal in the dying embers of the Aldershot game, registered the game's first shot on target.

Simon Weaver's side really were looking to get off to a flying start with Joe Leesley showing off his attacking flair in the opening minutes, beating the young York fullback Nathan Dyer and whipping a ball across the box which unfortunately evaded all the Town attack.

Despite the slow start, York City eventually warmed into the derby, in the 9th minute stringing a few passes together and playing through Alex Bray who managed to cross the ball in, but it was dealt with well by the Harrogate defence.

The Minstermen's first significant chance came in the 13th minute, Bray again whipping in a dangerous cross which evaded the Town defence and landed on the head of Lewis Hawkins, but his effort went looping over the bar.

The direct approach was paying off for the visitors, marksmen Jordan Burrow managed to whip a dangerous ball into the Town box, but Lewis Hawkins couldn't get his foot on it.

But York City wouldn't rue that missed chance for too long, in the 21st minute Bray managed to beat Town stopper James Belshaw to the ball, evaded the keeper and tapped it into an empty net to put the Minstermen 1-0 against the National League side; their first goal ever at The CNG Stadium and against Town in a competitive fixture.

Despite York really growing into the game Town weren't behind in the game for too long, in the 28th minute Dom Knowles collected the ball at the edge of the box and managed to bend it past the Minstermen stopper Adam Bartlett, with the marksmen grabbing his sixth of the season and first since September.

And they nearly doubled their lead moments later in the 31st minute, Leesley managed to break through and cut inside onto his right and bended a lovely shot just wide of the post.

The weather meant that both teams had to play in really harsh conditions and it showed in the closing stages of the first half, that was apart from one Leesley chance when Jack Muldoon managed to cross a ball across goal after the City keeper over committed but Leesley managed to fire his effort over the bar and out of The CNG Stadium.

With the weather conditions still terrible, York opened the second half the livelier of the two sides.

After a good run Wes York's cross was turned just wide of the post by the Town defence, keeping the Town defence on there toes as the half began.

With the wind picking up and the conditions getting harder, chances were limited for both teams.

In the 59th minute Thomson played the ball to the feet of Knowles who tried to replicate his goal from the first half, but his effort went wide of the far post.

In the 66th minute Town managed grab the lead, Knowles challenged York defender Bartlett for the ball after Langmead had headed Thomson's corner towards goal, with Liam Kitching on hand to fire the loose ball into the net from close range.

Town were still looking to add a third and were passing the ball around the park well, their next best chance coming in the 76th minute after Warren Burrell, the hero last week pulls over a stunning overhead kick, but it was saved by the York keeper.

Chances were limited as the game went into the closing stages, Town continued to push forward but couldn't create anything concrete.

After a one two from a corner Leesley had a strike towards goal go just wide, Harrogate's best chance in the closing stages as Simon Weavers men confirmed there place in the 2nd round of the FA Trophy.

Report by Isaac Martin

Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield, Kitching, Burrell, Langmead, Thomson, Falkingham, Emmett (Woods 68), Leesley, Knowles (Williams 80), Muldoon (Kerry 59)

Subs not used: Beck, Cracknell

Goals: Knowles 27, Kitching 66

York City: Bartlett, Dyer, Digie, Davis, Ferguson, Griffiths, Hawkins (Harris 53), Law (Ironside 85); York, Burrow, Bray (Langstaff 71)

Subs not used: Tait, Parslow

Booked: York

Attendance: 1,336 (523 away)
Referee: M Dicicco

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account