Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 2 AFC Telford 1

27 January 2018

Match Reports

Town 2 AFC Telford 1

27 January 2018

Harrogate Town made it five straight wins at The CNG Stadium on Saturday and moved to five points off top spot with a 2-1 win over AFC Telford.

Joe Leesley opened the scoring with his 18th goal of the season, cutting inside on his right foot and curling a sublime effort into the top corner after 33 minutes.

Town claimed their second six minutes after the interval and never looked back as Simon Ainge claimed his first goal of 2018; heading Jack Emmett's cross in at the back post.

The Bucks attempted a late comeback as Jordan Murphy netted in the 90th minute to set up a grandstand finish, but Town were able to see out the win.

Simon Weaver made one change from Tuesday night's win over Stockport as Ben Middleton returned from his loan spell at Boston United to replace the injured Ryan Fallowfield.
It took 12 minutes for the first shot of the game to arrive as Joe Leesley tested the reactions of Ryan Schofield from 25 yards.
Another effort from range came 12 minutes later as George Thomson tried his luck, though Schofield again made a relatively straight forward save.
The contest needed something to bring it into life, and Leesley provided that after 33 minutes, cutting inside on his right foot and exquisitely curling into the top right corner.
Good hold up play from Sylvan Ebanks-Blake almost created Telford's reply with six minutes to go before the break, but Marcus Dinanga's shot was kept out by James Belshaw.
Six minutes after the restart Town doubled their lead after excellent one touch passing from Middleton freed Jack Emmett down the right who floated a cross towards the back post where Ainge was waiting to head home.
The Bucks went closest to scoring three minutes before the hour mark as Connor Johnson connected with a deep corner but headed across the face of goal and behind.
Shortly after scoring Ainge was replaced by Mark Beck, who was unlucky not to get his first goal at The CNG Stadium after his header from Thomson's corner crashed off the cross bar.

The visitors still posed a threat despite being two goals down, as Anthony Dwyer flashed a vicious effort past the goal with ten minutes left to play.
Town continued to probe in the dying stages, and nearly got their rewards when Beck latched on to a loose ball, but was met by Schofield's one on one save.

Just as the contest entered stoppage time, Telford thrust themselves back in the game as Murphy converted from a corner, though it was too little too late as Town held on to the three points.
Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Middleton, Parker, Falkingham, Kennedy, Burrell, Thomson (Agnew 80), Emmett, Ainge (Beck 65), Knowles (Thewlis 72), Leesley
Subs not used: Kitching, Cracknell
Goals: Leesley 33, Ainge 51
AFC Telford: Schofield, White, Wilson, Johnson, Sutton, Deeney, Marsden (Cowans 69), Lussey (Leonard 78), Ebanks-Blake (Murphy 53), Dinanga, Dwyer
Subs not used: Leak, Singh

Goals: Murphy 90
Booked: Lussey, Johnson
Referee: T Parsons
Attendance: 1,034

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account