Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 5 St Albans 0

16 January 2018

Town set up a FA Trophy third Round clash with Billericay Town with an emphatic 5-0 win over St Albans City on Tuesday night.

Warren Burrell put his side a goal to the good at half time, heading home Joe Leesley's free kick after 12 minutes.
The Saints had shown signs of their attacking threat, though Town's superiority shone through in the second half as Dom Knowles rounded off a man of the match performance with a neat finish.
Town's third and fourth goals arrived just two minutes apart as Burrell got the final touch on Josh Falkingham's low shot, before Leesley fired home after Knowles had been dispossessed when through on goal.

The final goal of the afternoon arrived with almost the final kick of the game as George Thomson converted at the far post.
Simon Weaver made six changes from Saturday afternoon's original tie as Joe Cracknell, Ben Parker, Falkingham, Burrell, George Thomson and Knowles returned to the starting line-up.
Despite Town registering a couple of good early efforts through Simon Ainge and Thomson, St Albans struck the woodwork after just six minutes when Rhys Murrell-Williamson's finish clipped the outside of the post before going behind.
Six minutes later Joe Leesley whipped a typically quality free kick towards Burrell who headed home his first goal of the season to put Town ahead.
It could have been two for the hosts two minutes later as some excellent hold up play from Knowles teed up Emmett on the edge of the box, but the midfielder's shot was deflected behind.
Knowles was at the heart of Town's attacks early on and was unlucky not to get his name on the scoresheet after 25 minutes when a neat turn and shot forced a save from Dean Snedker, before Ainge bundled the rebound wide of the post.
Solomon Sambou was the standout performer in the final five minutes of the first half, first showing a neat piece of trickery to jink into the box before shooting over, then beating Emmett and firing into the arms of Cracknell.
There was still time in the opening 45 for the lively Thomson to again test Snedker, this time firing on target with his left foot from 25 yards.
Four minutes after the restart Knowles was again unlucky not to find the net as, after initially winning back possession and finding Emmett, the striker's header hit Ainge before going behind.
Town were bombarding the Saints goal at the start of the second half with Thomson and Ainge having efforts blocked, before Thomson's low cross found Leesley who was only denied by Snedker's point blank save.
The hosts' deserved second came after 64 minutes as Ainge collected Thomson's low cross and fed Knowles, who found the bottom left corner.
Burrell claimed his second goal after 72 minutes as he looked to have got the final touch on Falkingham's low drive.
The goals kept on coming for Town as Knowles ran through on goal only to be denied by an impressive last ditch tackle, though Leesley was on hand to smash home the rebound.

At 4-0 Weaver took the opportunity to give some of his key men a rest as Liam Agnew, Mark Beck and Jordan Thewlis helped Town see out an in the end comfortable win, with Thewlis teeing up Thomson in the final seconds of the game to claim Town's fifth and final goal.
Harrogate Town: Cracknell, Fallowfield, Parker, Falkingham (Agnew 75), Lees, Burrell, Thomson, Emmett, Ainge (Beck 75), Knowles (Thewlis 75), Leesley
Subs not used: Vann, Kerry
Goals: Burrell 12, 72, Knowles 64, Leesley 74, Thomson 93
Booked: Emmett, Fallowfield
St Albans: Snedker, Herd, Bender, Noble (Bradbury 67), Gardiner, Kiangebeni, Murrell-Williamson (Hippolye-Patrick 67), Sambou, Merson (Walker 61), Monlouis, Lucien
Subs not used: Eadie, Joseph
Booked: Bender
Referee: P Marsden
Attendance: 362

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account