Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 3 Brighouse 1

17 July 2018

Match Reports

Town 3 Brighouse 1

17 July 2018

Town returned to the CNG stadium for their third win out of three this pre-season due to the warm weather, against Brighouse Town FC.

Aaron Williams first two goals for Town and a late strike from the in form Dom Knowles secured Town another impressive win, despite going behind early on.

Brighouse started very in a very lively fashion with several strong tackles in the opening few minutes.

Although the Orange Army seemed well up for the game, the first half chance of the game fell to Town, as Williams and the trialist Casey Stewart linked up well but failed to test the Brighouse keeper Jordan Porter.

The early chance didn't put off Brighouse though as they linked up well going forward, with TJ Ibrahim missing a few early chances.

The pressure soon paid off for Brighouse though as their number nine Aaron Martin was found in the box to put the visitors 1-0 up in the ninth minute.

Only a few moments later they nearly made it 2-0 after Ibrahim got onto a loose ball and squared it to a teammate, but it was saved on the line by Kelvin Langmead.

The lively Martin continued to cause problems for the Town defence as the half went on; he found himself through on goal after some good play but could only shoot at Joe Cracknell.

As the game reached the half hour mark, Brighouse were using their physicality to create chances, with  Ibrahim and Martin causing a lot of problems for the Town defence.

Although chances were few for Town, George Thomson had a good chance from just outside the box to level things up after good hold up play from Williams, but he shot just over the bar.

Town did eventually manage to level the game up in the 40th minute as Aaron Williams showcased his poaching skills after Stewart's header was saved at the post only moments before.

Three minutes later, Town were in the lead going into half time. Williams with his second of the evening after getting onto the end of Lloyd Kerry's cross.

Town started the second half well with an early freekick as Thomson attempted to get the ball in the far corner of the goal, but the Brighouse stopper saved the attempt well.

Harrogate were really piling the pressure on as the half went on, a good run and pullback from Thomson found Stewart in the middle but he failed to test the keeper, his effort going just wide.

As is normal with preseason, several changes were made for Town on the hour mark with Simon Weaver introducing Dom Knowles, Jack Emmett, Josh Falkingham and Callum Howe, replacing  Brown, Thomson, Stewart, Toby Lees and Kerry.

The changes for Town almost immediately brought another chance. With Howe getting onto the end of Emmett's corner but ended up heading just wide.

The next action saw Dom Knowles miss a good chance after lovely work from Emmett who had displayed a very good wide range of passing, having been introduced late on.

But Knowles wasn't to go this game without scoring...

Muldoon produced a pacy run and found Knowles in the middle of the box to make it six consecutive games in which he had found the back of the net; making it 3-1 to Town in 83rd minute.

Shortly after the goal, the referee blew for fulltime, giving Town three wins out of three so far this season at the CNG stadium. A hard-fought win and good preparation for the next game against Bradford City at home.

Report by Isaac Martin

Town: Cracknell, Brown (Fallowfield 60), Parker, Kerry (Falkingham 60), Lees (Howe 60), Langmead (Burrell 69), Thomson (Emmett 60), Agnew, Stewart (Knowles 60), Williams, Muldoon

Goals: Williams 40, 42, Knowles 83

Brighouse: Porter, Nicols, Wright, Haigh, Field, Griffin, Robinson, Jones, Martin, Ibrahim, Jenkinson

Goals: Martin 9

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account