Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tamworth 1 Town 1

17 March 2018

Match Reports

Tamworth 1 Town 1

17 March 2018

Town's six match winning streak in the National League North came to an end on Saturday afternoon after a 1-1 draw at The Lamb Ground.

In blustery Winter conditions, Town took the lead when George Thomson's corner found its way into the back of the net via the hands of goalkeeper Jack Stevens.

Connor Taylor headed home the equaliser soon after and, despite twice striking the woodwork and seeing numerous shots cleared from the line, Town couldn't find the winning goal.

Simon Weaver named the same starting line-up for the fifth consecutive match, the last four of which had ended in victory.

Warren Burrell was the first to go close, collecting possession from Dom Knowles and charging forward from right back before dragging wide of the far post.

On his return to his former employers James Belshaw made the first save of the bitterly cold afternoon; keeping out Akwasi Asante's shot at his near post.

The hosts had a chance to take the lead after 23 minutes when a slick passing move saw Joel Kettle released in behind, only for his finish to end up behind for a corner.

Thomson made the miss pay just three minutes later as his inswinging corner ended up in the back of the Tamworth net via the hands of Goalkeeper Stevens.

With 11 minutes of the first half remaining Tamworth levelled the score as Rhys Sharpe's left wing delivery was glanced into the bottom corner by the head of Taylor.

Town were forced into making a change towards the end of the half as Ryan Fallowfield replaced Louie Swain and almost made an instant impact as his looping effort clipped the top of the bar.

The introduction of Jake Wright early in the second half coincided with Town taking hold of the game as the striker saw his shot blocked moments before Liam Kitching's header was well held by Stevens.

Wright was almost instrumental in giving Town the lead on 68 minutes when his hold up play allowed Jack Emmett to slide the ball under Stevens, only for Kettle to clear on the line.

Town continued to apply pressure as Thomson's powerful shot forced a corner that took two attempts to clear by Stevens who managed to claw the danger away.

Tamworth remained a threat though as Aman Verma's well struck shot forced a good save from Belshaw with 13 minutes to play.

Town did all they could to claim a late winner as Kitching went close when heading Leesley's corner over the bar, but Weaver's side couldn't break through and were made to settle for a point.

Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Burrell, Swain (Fallowfield 40), Falkingham, Kitching, McCombe, Thomson, Emmett, Beck (Thewlis 75), Knowles (Wright 57), Leesley

Subs not used: Cracknell, Agnew

Goals: Thomson 26

Booked: Falkingham

Tamworth: Stevens, Burns, Sharpe (Morley 86), Kettle, Jones, Lane, Taylor, Shaw, Asante (Gray 91), Verma, Knights (Donohue 78)

Subs not used: Powell, Davies

Goals: Taylor 34

Booked: Burns

Referee: T Kirk

Attendance: 662

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account