Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 1 Spennymoor 2

27 March 2018

Match Reports

Town 1 Spennymoor 2

27 March 2018

Town's seven match home winning streak in the National League North came to an end on Tuesday night following a 2-1 defeat to Spennymoor.

At the end of an uneventful first 45, Leeds United loanee Liam Kitching was shown a straight red card for a rash challenge on Robert Ramshaw.

Moors made their numerical advantage count after nine minutes of the second half as James Curtis headed a corner into the back of the net.

Nine minutes later Andrew Johnson capitalised on an unfortunate Ryan Fallowfield slip to make it two, and although Mark Beck notched late on, Town couldn't find a late leveller to keep their 13 match unbeaten run at The CNG Stadium in tact.

Simon Weaver named the same starting XI that moved to within a point of the league leaders on Saturday with a 2-0 win over Gainsborough Trinity.

Liam Kitching went close in the opening exchanges, heading wide of Steven Lowson's goal as both teams attempted to figure one another out in the first quarter of an hour.

Kitching was in action at the other end soon after a he positioned himself well to block Greg Rutherford's effort with his head.

Town passed and probed in the first half, but ultimately found their final ball slightly lacking and were unable to create any clear cut opportunities as a result.

On the stroke of half time Town were reduced to ten men as Kitching was shown a straight red card for a high challenge on Robert Ramshaw, leaving Town ten against 11 for the duration of the second half.

The ten men started the first half on the front foot as substitute Ryan Fallowfield burst forward and one a corner, that was fizzed across the face of goal and behind by George Thomson.

It was Spennymoor who grabbed the advantage though when Curtis powered a header into the top left from a corner kick after 54 minutes.

Ryan Hall went close to adding a second five minutes later when the winger darted between the Harrogate centre backs, but James Belshaw made a clever save at his near post.

There was nothing Town's stopper could do about Moors second goal though as an unfortunate slip from Fallowfield allowed Johnson through one on one, where the winger could squeeze the ball under Belshaw.

Jordan Thewlis and Jake Wright were introduced in an effort to get their side back in the game, and Wright almost did that in the 78th minute, but his shot was palmed away.

Five minutes later Town gave themselves a chance at a comeback as Emmett raced to the byline in typical fashion and squared to Beck a few yards out to finish.

It was too little too late for Town though, who succumbed to a first defeat in 14 at The CNG Stadium.

Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Burrell, Parker, Falkingham, Kitching, McCombe, Thomson (Thewlis 71), Emmett, Beck, Knowles (Wright 55), Leesley (Fallowfield 45)

Subs not used: Cracknell, Agnew

Goals: Beck 83

Booked: Falkingham

Sent off: Kitching

Spennymoor Town: Lowson, Griffiths, Mason, Chandker, Tait, Curtis, Hall (Lowe 93), Ramshaw, Rutherford, Anderson (Henry 86), Johnson

Subs not used: Porter, Fewster, Curry

Goals: Curtis 54, Johnson 63

Booked: Chandler, Tait

Referee: S Barrott

Attendance: 1001

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account