Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 4 Barrow 2

30 October 2018

Match Reports

Town 4 Barrow 2

30 October 2018

Town returned to winning ways on Tuesday night with a 4-2 victory over Barrow at The CNG Stadium.

Despite training through John Rooney's deflected first half strike, a four goal flurry at the start of the second half sent Town to three points.

Kyle Jameson's own goal got the wheels in motion, before Jack Muldoon fired Town ahead.

Josh Falkingham's got in on the act with his first of the season, a neat finish into the bottom corner, before Mark Beck converted Joe Leesley's cross from close range.

Barrow did pull a goal back late on through Tyler Smith, though it was too little too late as Town returned to fourth in The National League.

Simon Weaver made two changes from Saturday's trip to Dagenham as Jack Muldoon and Ryan Fallowfield replaced Jordan Thewlis and Kelvin Langmead.

Town almost struck inside the first minute as Josh Falkingham released Liam Kitching, but the defender's low shot was saved as Leeds United Manager Marcelo Bielsa watched on from the stands.

Barrow responded with a chance of their own in the seventh minute as John Rooney volleyed over from 20-yards following Kitching's high clearance.

Kitching was proving a real threat down the left hand side, and worked Firth again in the 22nd minute with a header from George Thomson's cross.

Despite the home threat, Barrow edged ahead just after the half hour mark as, after Fallowfield had cut out a dangerous looking through ball, Rooney picked up the loose ball and saw his strike deflect past James Belshaw.

Another deflected shot almost cost Town a goal not long after as Barrow hit on the counter, though Lee Molyneux's strike clipped Callum Howe before ending up in the side netting.

With just one minute to go until the break, Joe Leesley picked out Mark Beck at the far post, but the striker could ony divert the ball back across goal on the stretch.

Town's number nine was in action again afte tthe restart as Falkingham had bundled the ball towards the striker, but Beck's right footed shot was off target.

The equalising goal arrived eight minutes after the restart after Leesley's low left wing delivery was turned into the back of his own net by Jameson.

Three minutes later Town turned the tie on its head as Jack Emmett burst into the box and found Muldoon, who fired into the top left corner to put Town ahead.

Town looked a different side after the break and fired in a third through Captain Falkingham who collected Firth's poor clearance and slotted into the bottom corner.

Barrow responded to conceding three with a triple change as Jack Hindle, Luke Burgess and Erico Sousa were introuduced, though it wasn't long before Town's fourth went in.

Leesley provided another quality free kick delivery from the left that Beck converted from close range to end any hopes of a Barrow comeback.

Emmett almost made it five two minutes after the fourth had gone in, but Firth tipped the attempt round the post at full stretch.

Despite being three goals down, Barrow still looked dangerous and were denied a second of the game by Warren Burrell's sliding block that diverted Hindle's attempt over the bar.

Barrow did reduce the deficit with 13 minutes to play as Smith glanced a header into the inside of the post from a right wing delivery.

It was too little too late though for the visitors as Town claimed the win that sees them return to fourth in The National League.

Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield (Langmead 84), Falkingham, Howe, Burrell, Thomson, Emmett (Kerry 88), Beck (Williams 85), Leesley, Muldoon, Kitching

Subs not used: Cracknell, Agnew

Goals: Jameson OG 53, Muldoon 56, Falkingham 58, Beck 68

Barrow: Firth, Brown, Jones, Taylor, Rooney, Kay (Burgess 61), Mulholland (Hindle 61), Smith, Jameson, Molyneux (Sousa 61), Norrington-Davies

Subs not used: Wilson, Barthram

Goals: Rooney 32, Smith 77

Booked: Jones, Kay

Referee: M Edwards

Attendance: 1268

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account