Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Boreham Wood 2 Town 4

29 September 2018

Match Reports

Boreham Wood 2 Town 4

29 September 2018

Town returned to winning ways and rediscovered their goalscoring form with a 4-2 victory at last season's beaten Play-Off Finalists Boreham Wood.

After falling behind to Gozie Ugwe's near post finish, George Thomson made sure Town went into the break level heading home Joe Leesley's cross.

Town were 3-1 up within eight minutes of the restart as first Aaron Williams charged down a Ryan Huddart clearance to divert the ball into the net, then Leesley's shot was turned into his own net by Femi Ilesanmi.

A stunning Ugwu strike looked like it would set up a frantic finish, but Jack Emmett provided a goal of real class with just over a quarter of an hour to go to mark his return with a goal and ensure Town claimed all three points.

Simon Weaver made one change from Tuesday night's goalless draw with Wrexham as Williams replaced Dom Knowles for his fourth Town start.

Emmett was also deemed fit enough to return to the squad for the first time in over a month as the midfielder took a place on the bench.

The hosts went close to taking the lead within the first minute as Ilesanmi raced down the left hand side and sent a grounded cross into the middle that no one could turn goalwards.

Ten minutes in Boreham Wood opened the scoring as, after Callum Howe had blocked David Stephens' effort, a near post cross was headed in by Ugwe.

Williams went close to equalising soon after when, having collected a clever flick from strike partner Jack Muldoon, forced a save from Huddart at his near post.

Nine minutes after going behind Town were level as Leesley crossed from the left towards Thomson, who beat his marker in the air and guided his header past Huddart.

The hosts looked to regain their advantage, but Ugwe's shot was blocked by Kelvin Langmead moments before Manny Parry headed over the bar from a corner.

Jamal Fyfield had a great chance to claim his side's second of the afternoon when he met a free kick delivery, but could only glance across the face of goal.

Having picked up a knock in midfield, Lloyd Kerry was replaced towards the end of the half by Emmett, whose first involvment was to race to the right byline and almost pick out Leesley at the back post, though the sides went into the break level.

Six minutes after the restart Town took the lead in unusual circumstances as Williams closed down Huddart and was able to divert the Boreham Wood's stopper's clearance into the back of the net.

Town doubled their advantage three minutes later as Leesley cut in on his right, then back onto his left before firing across goal and seeing his shot hit Ilesanmi and cross the line.

With Town looking to keep their two-goal advantage, Ugwu collected possession 30 yards from goal and unleashed a rocket of a strike past James Belshaw to ensure only one goal seperated the sides.

With just over a quarter of an hour to play, Town again found the net as Emmett ran direct at the Boreham Wood defence before curling into the back of the net from outside the area.

The hosts tried their best to get back into the game, but were denied in the closing stages by Belshaw who stopped Parry's close range effort.

Town: Belshaw, Falkingham, Howe, Burrell, Thomson (Agnew 92), Leesley, Langmead, Williams, Kerry (Emmett 38), Muldoon (Beck 69), Kitching

Subs not used: Knowles, Cracknell

Goals: Thomson 19, Williams 51, Ilesanmi OG 53, Emmett 74
Booked: Kitching, Thomson, Williams

Boreham Wood: Huddart, Ilesanmi, Parry, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Umerah, Murtagh, Fyfield, Ugwu, Smith (Thomas 58)

Subs not used: Balcombe, Ndiaye, Gibbs

Goals: Ugwe 10, 60

Referee: W Finnie

Attendance: 566 (83)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account