Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 0 Wrexham 0

25 September 2018

Match Reports

Town 0 Wrexham 0

25 September 2018

The battle between two of The National League's top three ended all square as Town and Wrexham played out a goalless draw at The CNG Stadium.

The Dragons had their chances to inflict a second defeat in a row on their opponents, but were met by an in form James Belshaw who denied the visitors on multiple occasions.

Simon Weaver made one change from Saturday's clash with Leyton Orient as fit again Joe Leesley returned in place of Mark Beck.

Wrexham meanwhile were able to call upon the services of midfielder Luke Summerfield, who had his red card on Saturday rescinded in time for the match.

Despite Town starting the brighter, the first chance of the game fell the way of the visitors as Mike Fondup-Talom raced through one on one after Warren Burrell's mistake, only to find James Belshaw in his way to save.

Weaver's side responded with a chance of their own as George Thomson's free kick was headed by Callum Howe into the path of Lloyd Kerry, but the midfielder's strike took a deflection on its way behind for a corner.

After defeats in their previous outings, both sides were desperate to gain an upper hand with plenty of strong challenges going in, some on the wrong side of the rulebook according to Referee Peter Gibbons.

The contest was being played at a frantic pace, with Wrexham finishing the half strongly as Summerfield almost guided a shot into the top corner, moments before Captain Shaun Pearson headed over the bar.

The first chance of the second half took 17 minutes to arrive as Paul Rutherford sent a low cross into the path of Fondop-Talom who couldn't hit the target on the slide.

The visitors did hit the target moments later through Summerfield's powerfully struck free kick, but Belshaw flew to his right and denied the midfielder.

Belshaw made an even more impressive save two minutes later, again denying Fondop-Talom with a springing save after the attacker had combined with substitute Luke Young.

That save helped Town to a sixth clean sheet of the season, though Weaver's side couldn't find a breakthrough at the other end as the contest ended goalless.

Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Falkingham, Howe, Burrell, Thomson (Beck 77), Knowles (Williams 73), Leesley, Langmead, Kerry, Muldoon, Kitching

Subs not used: Cracknell, Agnew, Sutton

Booked: Howe

Wrexham: Lainton, Roberts, Pearson, Summerfield, Fondop-Talom, Carrington, Rutherford, Maguire-Drew (Holroyd 86), Walker, Wright (Young 70), Lawlor

Subs not used: Dibble, Deverdics, Beavon

Booked: Walker, Fondop-Talom

Referee: P Gibbons

Attendance: 2387 (717 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account