Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 2 Gateshead 0

22 April 2019

Match Reports

Town 2 Gateshead 0

22 April 2019

After an impressive win and a clean sheet on Easter Monday, Town secured their Play-Off place with a game to spare in their first ever season playing National League football.

A perfectly timed first goal of the season for Jordan Thewlis and an 11th of the season for Mark Beck ended Gateshead's playoff hopes, while guaranteeing Town's place in the post season action.

For the visit of Gateshead, Simon Weaver made one change from Friday's trip to Leyton Orient as Michael Woods came in for Jack Emmett.

Liam Kitching had the first meaningful attack for the home side, he charged at the visiting defence with menace in the 7th minute but decided on trying to release to Jack Senior instead of taking an effort, but his pass was short.

In the 32nd minute it was Ben Clark's men who had the best opportunity to open the scoring, Steven Rigg crossed into the Town box and managed to pick out Jack Hunter in the middle, who was inches away from connecting with the cross which many thought was going to find the back of the net.

Jack Senior, who was playing higher up then his usual defensive position was looking lively along with Lloyd Kerry in the midfield in the opening exhanges.

That was until Thewlis picked up his first goal of the season for Town, when Captain Josh Falkingham released the striker, who quickly looked up to check he was onside and then rounded the keeper and tapped home. 

Within moments of the second half beginning, Town had a penalty appeal waved away by referee Simon Mather.

Thewlis had continued to cause problems with his pace and appeared to be brought down by the visiting keeper Aynsley Pears, but instead the man in yellow and black picked up a yellow card for simulation.

The Town number twelve continued to torture The Heed defence and in the 55th minute was involved in the second goal of the game.

After a weaving run from the left-hand side, he simply had to pick out Beck in the middle who tapped it home to double the lead.

Minutes later Town were denied a third by the linemen's flag when Thewlis finished off Michael Woods' clever pass, but was denied his second goal of the afternoon.

Despite needing three goals without a reply, Gatehead were still pressuring the Town defence with Steven Rigg coming close from a corner, but his effort was tipped over the bar by James Belshaw.

In the closing stages of the game Town were still looking to add to their lead, substitute George Thomson had a shot saved by the visiting keeper after fellow substitute Jack Muldoon had a few efforts blocked.

In 90th minute there was action at the opposite end as Thomson turned a Gateshead cross towards his own goal, but Belshaw had it covered to keep his clean sheet intact and complete the double over Gateshead this season.

 Report by Isaac Martin

Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield (Thomson 63), Senior, Falkingham, Howe, Burrell, Beck, Thewlis (Muldoon 63), Kerry, Kitching, Woods (Agnew 81)

Subs not used: Cracknell, Knowles  

Goals: Thewlis 41, Beck 55

Booked: Thewlis

Gateshead: Pears, Tinkler, Devitt, Williamson, Mellish (O'Donnell 88), Barrow, White, Olley, Hunter (Maloney 76), Thomson (Salkeld 76), Rigg

Subs not used: Foden, McGeoch

Referee: S Mather

Attendance: 1,629 (295 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account