Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U21s 4-0 Yorkshire Amateur

19 December 2019

Club News

U21s 4-0 Yorkshire Amateur

19 December 2019

In their final home fixture of the year, Town U21s welcomed Yorkshire Amateur U23s to The CNG Stadium on Monday night, looking to keep their impressive run of home form going and make it four games without defeat against a side with just one defeat all season.

A youthful Town line-up included league debuts for 16 year olds Bailey Calvert in goal and attacking midfielder Joe Navier.

As expected Yorkshire Amateur looked to start strong and dominate with their pace and power but for all their efforts, chances were few and far between as the back four, marshalled by captain Cam Latimer, repelled the early onslaught and kept the visitors down to random pot shots from distance much to their managers frustration.

The Town lads gradually grew into the game and started to establish themselves carving out numerous chances for Lambert, Humphries and Anderson, with the ever reliable duo of Ben Barker and Lewis Thornton posing questions for the visitors and driving Town forwards at every opportunity.

For anyone that was at the Southern Stadium for the corresponding fixture earlier in the season, the last scoreline they would of expected is 0-0 at halftime but that's how the first 45 ended with Town definitely on top but nothing to show for all the possession.

The second half started off in similar vein to the first with the visitors looking to launch the ball forward at every opportunity. A couple of early chances for Ammers saw them 1 on 1 with the young Town keeper who stood up well producing a composed performance to thwart their forwards.

On 60 minutes Town finally got the breakthrough they deserved, after great work in the 18 yard box by Gabe Humphries setting up strike partner Charlie Anderson for a smart finish past the on-rushing keeper.

With Town now in the ascendancy it seemed only a matter of time before they extended their lead and on 70 minutes Gabe Humphries got his name on the score sheet, reward for his hard work and perseverance leading the line. This was followed on 77 minutes by his second, a smart turn and finish past the floundering keeper.

Anderson then got his second of the game on 79 minutes as Town pressed home their advantage and started to overrun the visitors in all areas of the pitch. The introduction of substitutes Tom Johnson and Navier meant there was no rest bite for Ammers. 

As the visitors pushed for a consolation goal in the last 10 minutes, each attack was broken up by resolute defending from the returning Sam Richardson and young full back Alex Hields while Man of the Match, Harry Lee, produced a display that belied his age.

While others will grab the headlines, often the selfless hard work of some gets overlooked and in Dave Lawn down the right hand side Town have someone who worked tirelessly for 90 minutes in and out of possession making life difficult for the opposition.

The final score of 4-0 was just reward for a 21s side that have grown in confidence and stature over the last month.

Their final game of the calendar year sees them travel to the Citadel and an experienced Farsley Celtic team flying high at the top of the league. But they will head their with confidence, nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account