Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 3 Farsley Celtic 1

20 July 2019

Match Reports

Town 3 Farsley Celtic 1

20 July 2019

Joe Leesley opened the scoring in the 34th minute to guide Town towards a 3-1 victory against Farsley Celtic. 

A Jack Higgins own goal and a penalty converted by Jon Stead saw Town claim a fourth win in a row after a lively second half, in which Nathan Cartman netted for the visitors.

Summer signing Scott Brown made his fourth successive start while striker Jon Stead returned to the line-up as Town welcomed Farsley Celtic to The CNG Stadium.
It was Stead who was involved early on, winning several headers and providing an inviting cross down the right in the sixth minute which no Town team mate could get on the end of.
The first attempt of the match came in the 25th minute with Farsley midfielder Adam Clayton latching onto a free-kick delivery down the left. His headed an attempt was high and wide of James Belshaw's goal.
Town immediately responded with an attempt of their own. Striker Sam Jones battled well inside the Farsley box to hold off his man and squeeze an effort towards the near post, forcing the keeper into a save.
A Town corner in the 32nd minute presented Stead with an opportunity as Leesley's delivery found the Yorkshireman whose headed effort was just wide of the far post.
Two minutes later and Town had found the breakthrough. Joe Leesley picked up the ball on the edge of the box, turning his man and firing a right footed strike into the bottom left corner.
The second half started with Town on the front foot and in the 52nd minute, Town doubled their lead. A low cross by Jon Stead down the left flank was turned in by Farsley centre back Jack Higgins.

Stead was then involved again five minutes later, winning a penalty after being blocked off by Adam Clayton. The striker stepped up to take the penalty and cooly slot home to make the score 3-0 with 30 minutes to go.

Farsley hit back on the 63rd minute from a corner thanks to a Jack Higgins header, with Nathan Cartman getting the final touch, to keep Town on their toes. 

The introduction of Brendan Kiernan on the 66th minute added some space down the right wing and he had an instant impact managing to latch onto a throughball and whip a dangerous ball into the box which Thomson got on the end of, though his headed attempt was comfortably saved. 

Kiernan was once again in the action in the 79th minute, striking post after some good play down the right.

Town managed to hold out for the final 10 minutes to keep the score 3-1 and to make it four pre-season wins out of four. 

Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield (Hall 45), Falkingham, Heaton, Burrell, Jones (Kiernan 66), Leesley (Thomson 45), Stead (Beck 73), Muldoon, Brown (Woolford 66), W Smith
Subs not used: Cracknell

Goals: Leesley 34, Higgins OG 52, Stead (p) 57
Farsley Celtic: Wynne, Boateng, Baldwin (Parkin 45), Higgins, Ellis (Trialist 75), Clayton, Walton, C Atkinson, B Atkinson (Walker 45), Cartman, Hayhurst
Subs not used: Bower, Bett  

Goals: Cartman 63
Referee: Tom Nield

Report by Henry Whitaker

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account