Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 4 Spennymoor 0

27 July 2019

Match Reports

Town 4 Spennymoor 0

27 July 2019

An outstanding first half performance helped Town end pre-season on a high with a 4-0 win over National League North Spennymoor Town at The CNG Stadium.

Brendan Kiernan got the ball rolling after just five minutes, getting something on Jack Muldoon's cross that deflected in off the legs of Williams, before Will Smith glanced Joe Leesley's free kick past Matthew Gauld to put his side two up ten minutes in.

Leesley then got in on the act himself as his right wing delivery nestled into the bottom corner, before crossing for Mark Beck to head home his fourth of pre-season and Town's fourth and final goal of the afternoon just before the half time whistle.

Simon Weaver opted for Will Smith and Connor Hall at the heart of defence to start, with Warren Burrell at right back.

It took five minutes for Town to get their noses in front as Brendan Kiernan darted in front of Matthew Gould to meet Muldoon's cross that found it's way in off the legs of Williams.

One became two five minutes later as Will Smith climbed highest to glance Joe Leesley's free kick into the corner.

It could have been three after 16 minutes when George Smith swung a delicious cross towards Mark Beck at the back post, but the striker couldn't convert what would have been his fourth goal of pre-season.

Spennymoor went close to halving the deficit in what was an action packed opening 20 minutes when Andrew Johnson powered a header off the post after Ben McKenna's cross.

Town found their third of the afternoon on the half hour mark as Joe Leesley aimed an inswinging cross towards Beck, only to see his delivery nestle in the far corner.

Beck did manage to get a touch to Kiernan's teasing delivery five minutes later, but saw his close range header rattle the bar and bounce clear.

It looked like the visitors would finish the half strongly with a flurry of attacks, but Jason Ainsley's side couldn't prevent Beck heading in a fourth from Leesley's corner on the stroke of half time.

Despite the scoreline, Weaver rang the changes at half time, replacing Falkingham, Beck, Leesley, Kiernan and Muldoon with Lloyd Kerry, Sam Jones, Scott Brown, George Thomson and Jon Stead.

It wasn't quite the lightning start to the half for Town it was for the first, though early efforts from Thomson and and Kerry did concern the visitors.

Second half substitute Mark Anderson reminded Town there was still a job to do as he almost found the top corner with 20 minutes to go, though Emmett could have added a fifth if not for his high finish after a trademark burst through the opposition defence.

Town now go into next Saturday's National League curtain raiser in high spirits on the back of an assured, exciting display.

Town: Belshaw, G Smith, Falkingham (Kerry 45), Burrell (Fallowfield 37), Emmett, Beck (Jones 45), Leesley (Brown 45), Kiernan (Thomson 45), Muldoon (Stead 45), Hall, W Smith

Subs not used: Cracknell

Goals: Kiernan 5, W Smith 10, Leesley 30, Beck 45

Spennymoor: Gould, Williams, Brogan (Ramshaw 31), Chandler, Mason, Curtis, McKenna (Greenwood 67), Ward, Boyes (Anderson 59), Roberts, Johnson (Hall 45)

Subs not used: Ramshaw, Buddle, Trialist

Referee: A Miller

Attendance: 374

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account