Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Sutton 3 Town 1

30 November 2019

Match Reports

Sutton 3 Town 1

30 November 2019

A second half brace from Tommy Wright ensured Town again came away from Gander Green Lane with a defeat.

Town had trailed since the half hour mark through Harry Beautyman's header, but levelled deep into the second half through Josh Falkingham, only for Wright's long range effort minutes later to restore the hosts' advantage.

With just three minutes of normal time remaining, Wright claimed his second, cutting inside and finding the far corner to send Town to a second defeat in 14.

Simon Weaver made two changes from Tuesday night's draw with Halifax as Jon Stead and Jack Emmett took the places of Mark Beck and Warren Burrell.

There was also a place among the substitutes for Lloyd Kerry, who was involved in the match day squad for the first time since August.

Stead's first start since September at Maidenhead came after Beck was ruled out through a hamstring injury suffered in training.

It took 16 minutes for the first chance to arrive as Emmett delivered into the box from the right, but Will Smith couldn't guide his header under the bar.

After an uneventful opening half hour, Sutton broke the deadlock when Craig Eastmond's ball in behind the Town defence was headed past Belshaw by Beautyman from close range.

The hosts went close to doubling their lead eight minutes later, but had to settle for a corner after it had looked like Louis John had found the top corner.

Town threatened an equaliser two minutes before the break with George Thomson's volley producing a fine block by Ben Goodliffe, but it was Sutton who finished the half on top, Ryan Fallowfield eventually clearing the danger after a scramble in the Town six-yard box.

Both sides needed goal line clearances to prevent them conceding inside the opening seven minutes of the second half, first Connor Hall saw his header cleared away, then Fallowfield's positioning at the other end allowed him to keep out David Ajiboye's finish.

Town levelled the score in the 68th minute when Falkingham got in front of the defender to claim Stead's flick on, before rounding the goalkeeper, regaining his balance and rolling the ball over the line.

Weaver's side were level for just a matter of minutes though as Wright unleashed a strike worthy of winning any game, finding the top corner and leaving Belshaw no chance.

Wright then put the tie to bed with three minutes left to play, cutting in from the left to curl into the far corner and send Town to a second defeat in 14 games.

Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield, Falkingham, Thomson, Emmett, Stead, Muldoon, Hall, W Smith, Diamond (Kiernan 65), Hancox

Subs: G Smith, Cracknell, Bradley, Kerry

Goals: Falkingham 68

Booked: Muldoon, Emmett

Sutton: Tzanev, John, Barden, Goodliffe, Davis (Ajiboyee 45), Bugiel (Dundas 90), Beautyman, Eastmond, Wright, Wyatt, Reid

Subs not used: Collins, Randall, Jarvis

Goals: Beautyman 30, Wright 72, 87

Booked: Beautyman

Referee: G Parsons

Attendance: 1490

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account