Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 3 Chesterfield 1

23 November 2019

Town got back to winning ways withan impressive 3-1 victory over Chesterfield FC; goals from Josh Falkingham, Ryan Fallowfield and Jack Muldoon securing the result.

Mitch Hancox was one of two changes made by Simon Weaver following the 3-3 draw with Bromley. The versatile player was handed his debut following his arrival from Solihull Moors on loan.
Jack Diamond forced the first save of the afternoon after bringing the ball down on his chest and taking aim from the edge of the box. Chesterfield keeper Shwan Jalal did well to keep hold of the shot as Brendan Kiernan closed in, hunting for the rebound.
It was Chesterfield who got the breakthrough in the 10th minute in what was their first attack of the game. Jermaine McGlashan crossed from the right with the initial effort hitting the post. The ball fell to Mike Fondop who fired home to give the visitors the lead.
Chesterfield had their tails up following the goal and looked to press for another. Will Smith's vital block at the edge of the six-yard box denied The Spireites a second goal within five minutes of the first.
Diamond had a chance to level the scores in the 23rd minute as the ball fell to him inside the box from a right sided cross. A great block by a Chesterfield defender was all that stopped the ball from nestling into the back of the net.
Two minutes later it was Diamond again driving at the defence. He cut inside from the left hitting a curling effort towards the near post which was comfortably saved.
Diamond was a lively figure throughout the first half, with his left footed cross into the corridor of uncertainty nearly giving Town the equaliser in the 31st minute. Smith was the man who lunged at the ball but he couldn't get enough contact to direct the effort on target.
Fondop was the danger man for Chesterfield and he forced James Belshaw into a good save following his long-range effort.
Town got a deserved equaliser in the 37th minute. Muldoon picked up the ball just inside the Chesterfield box and unselfishly squared the ball to Falkingham who smashed home to level the scores.
Smith came close to giving Town the lead deep into added time. The centre half headed onto the bar following a great dead ball delivery from debutant left back Hancox.
Town dominated the start of the second half and their dominance got its rewards in the 65th minute, thanks to right back Fallowfield. He received the ball from Muldoon and hit a fantastic strike first time into the top corner to put Town ahead.
Only a minute after restarting, Town came close to hitting the back of the net again. Mark Beck struck from afar and the keeper could only parry the shot a few yards in front of him.  Muldoon was quick to react and but he couldn't keep his effort below the bar from inside the box.
Town extended their lead five minutes later after the visitors gave the ball away on the halfway line. Muldoon was played through and he coolly rounded the keeper to slot home.
Confidence was in abundance from the home side and nearly made it four with just over ten minutes to play. Thomson hit the side netting with his half volley which briefly deceived the Town fans into thinking the ball had found its way into the goal. 
Town successfully saw out the remaining ten minutes of the game with Falkingham have one last attempt in stoppage time which didn't trouble the keeper.
Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield, Hall, W Smith, Hancox, Falkingham, Burrell, Kiernan (Thomson 62), Diamond, Muldoon, Beck.
Subs not used: Cracknell, G Smith, Emmett, Bradley
Goals: Falkingham 37, Fallowfield 65, Muldoon 71
Booked: Kiernan
Chesterfield: Jalal, Weston (Smith 74), Sheridan, Buchanan, Evans, McGuire, Shaw, McGlashan, Fondop, Nepomuceno, Mandeville (Boden 64)
Subs not used: Coddington, Weir, Rowley
Goals: Fondop 10
Booked: Shaw, Gevaro, Maguire
Referee: S Yianni
Attendance: 1710 (572 away)
Report by Henry Whitaker

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account