Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 2 Barnet 1

29 October 2019

Ten men Town made it ten unbeaten after a dogged display against Barnet. Early first half goals from Jack Muldoon and George Smith were enough to gain the three points despite the visitors' best attempts.

It took nine minutes for the first attempt of the game, a tame effort coming from Simeon Akinola which was no threat to James Belshaw.
Town's first opportunity came for Mark Beck after Muldoon did well down the right to squeeze a ball across the six-yard box. Town's number nine stretched but was unable to get strong contact on the ball. Jack Diamond followed up with his effort being blocked for a corner.
The resulting corner brought the opening goal. George Smith floated the corner to the centre of the box and after appeals for handball as the ball dropped, Muldoon was first to react and smash home to give Town the lead after the quarter hour mark.
Four minutes later and Town doubled their lead. Diamond led the break down the left and played in the overlapping George Smith who drove into the box, hitting powerfully past the Barnet keeper.
Barnet got a goal back in the 36th minute against the run of play. The away side crossed the ball in from the left where, after Warren Burrell's block had bounced kindly, David Tutonda was free in the penalty area to shoot past Belshaw.
The Bees finished the first half strongly but Town did well to keep their lead intact.
The visitors started the second half in similar fashion, with Dan Sweeney heading over from a dangerous cross, five minutes after the restart.
Town faced a lot of pressure from Barnet in the second half and Simon Weaver opted for a double substitution of Jon Stead and George Thomson to help Town regain control.
However, just five minutes after coming on, Stead was shown a straight red card for a challenge on Barnet defender Sweeney after 77 minutes.
The striker tried to win the loose ball but mistimed his attempt and was subsequently given his marching orders.
Town were camped in their own half for the remainder of the game, with Beck doing his best alone up front to ease the pressure, and fantastic late double save from Belshaw ensured the unbeaten streak was maintained.
Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield, W Smith, Burrell, G Smith, Falkingham, Bradley, Kiernan (Thomson 71), Diamond (Emmett 87), Muldoon (Stead 74), Beck
Subs not used: Cracknell, Taylor.
Goals: Muldoon 15, Smith 19
Booked: Bradley, Falkingham
Sent Off: Stead
Barnet: Loach, Alexander, Johnson, Reynolds, Dunne, Akinola, Taylor, Vilhete, Elito (Walker 80), Tutonda, Sweeney
Subs not used: Matrevics, Fonguck, Syla, Mason-Clark
Goals: Tutonda 36
Referee: M Woods
Attendance: 1,121 (102 away)
Report by Henry Whitaker

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account