Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Exeter 1 Town 2 - Kiernan and Muldoon Secure Memorable Win at Exeter

15 December 2020

Match Reports

Exeter 1 Town 2 - Kiernan and Muldoon Secure Memorable Win at Exeter

15 December 2020

Our 600 mile trip to Exeter resulted in three points coming back to Harrogate as Brendan Kiernan and Jack Muldoon helped secure a 2-1 win at Exeter.

Kiernan put Town ahead at the break, though 45 minutes of good work was undone seconds after the restart as Jake Taylor levelled.

A goal of the highest quality sealed the points though as Muldoon squeezed between two defenders and curled round the Exeter stopper.

Simon Weaver named the same starting line-up for the third consecutive fixture, though there was a place on the bench for new addition Edward Francis.

The hosts made just one change fresh from their 5-0 win over Tranmere on Saturday as Alex Hartridge replaced Tom Parkes.

Exeter made a quick start, looking like a side high on confidence, with plenty of attacking intent down the flanks and corners delivered into Town's box, though Weaver's side held strong, despite a four figure crowd in attendance at St James' Park willing their side on.

The first chance for the hosts came as a result of an unfortunate Ryan Fallowfield slip 31 minutes in, though James Belshaw was ready to divert Joel Randall's effort over.

Town would go on to strike at the other end moments later, Belshaw's clearance out of his hands helped on by Aaron Martin towards Kiernan, who rolled his marker and fired low past Jonny Maxted to put his side ahead.

Exeter came back fighting as expected, though couldn't find a way past Belshaw in the first half, the Town stopper keeping out Matt Jay's close range header after an accurate Jack Sparkes delivery.

Town let their lead slip seconds after the restart after hesitation between Jake Lawlor and Fallowfield allowed Jay to head into the path of Taylor who couldn't miss.

The home crowd felt they should have been awarded a penalty in the 55th minute as the ball looked to strike Connor Hall on the arm, though Referee Lee Swabey felt otherwise, to the frustration of the hosts.

Town were forced into a change just before the hour mark as Josh Falkingham was forced off with an injury, despite trying his best to play on, paving the way for Francis to make his debut in holding midfield.

With 73 minutes on the clock, Martin won his aerial dual again, flicking on to Muldoon whose first touch took the ball away from one defender, second touch set the ball onto his right foot and third touch curled past Maxted to restore Town's lead.

Despite leading, Town continued to create the majority of chances, Martin inches away from making it three and sealing the win with a back post header.

Exeter did all the could for an equaliser, but Town left Devon with a memorable three points, Fallowfield's late goal line clearance getting the job done.

Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield, Falkingham (Francis 59), Burrell, Thomson, Martin, Lawlor, Kiernan (Miller 83), Kirby, Muldoon, Hall

Subs not used: Cracknell, Stead, Kerry, Lokko

Goals: Kiernan 32, Muldoon 75

Booked: Lawlor

Exeter: Maxted, Sparkes, Taylor (Atangana 71), Collins, Williams (Caprice 54), Bowman, Randall (Law 71), Jay (Fisher 77), Sweeney, Key, Hartridge

Subs not used: Lee, McArdle, Parkes

Goals: Taylor 46

Booked: Bowman

Referee: L Swabey

Attendance: 1559

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account