Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Oldham 1-2 Town - Thomson Brace Seals Boxing Day Win

26 December 2020

Match Reports

Oldham 1-2 Town - Thomson Brace Seals Boxing Day Win

26 December 2020

George Thomson's brace helped Town claim three hard earned Boxing Day points, coming from behind to overcome Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park.

Conor McAleny's penalty against the run of play had put the hosts ahead, though a superb Thomson strike levelled the score on the half hour mark.

Oldham were reduced to ten men moments before the interval as Bobby Grant saw red for an elbow on Jake Lawlor, with Thomson making the numerical advantage count in the second half with another ferocious finish that continued Town's impressive away form.

Simon Weaver named an unchanged starting line-up from last weekend's clash with Salford City, though there was a place on the bench for returning Skipper Josh Falkingham.

In the opposing dugout, Harry Kewell made one change from last weekend's impressive win at Newport County with Alfie McCalmont replacing Ben Garrity in midfield.

The fixture got off to a frantic start, with Town being denied three times within seconds of each other inside the opening three minutes. George Thomson's diving header was kept out by Ian Lawlor, who then pulled off a one handed save to deny Connor Kirby's follow up, before Jack Muldoon's effort ended up behind for a corner.

Lawlor was in action again inside five minutes, making another smart save to keep Muldoon's low effort out after Town's top scorer had been found by Ryan Fallowfield.

Despite Town's early dominance, Oldham were given the chance to take the lead from the spot after 18 minutes as Warren Burrell fouled Davis Keillor-Dunn, with Conor McAleny dispatching the spot kick.

The setback didn't stop Town creating chances though as Thomson struck just wide from the edge of the area, seconds before Muldoon was inches away from converting Brendan Kiernan's low cross.

The Latics didn't learn their lesson though, once again affording Thomson space on the edge of the area, the Town midfielder this time volleying clinically into the bottom left corner.

With two minutes of normal time remaining in the first half Oldham were reduced to ten men as Bobby Grant was shown a straight red card, catching former Wrexham teammate Jake Lawlor with an elbow.

Aaron Martin went close five minutes into the second half, heading Thomson's corner just wide, before Town's number seven almost claimed his second of the afternoon, striking the bar from a free kick wide on the left.

With 20 minutes to go, the otherwise impressive Lawlor almost cost Oldham, spilling Kirby's shot at the feet of Martin, but managing to block what would have been an easy tap in.

Lawlor couldn't stop Thomson claiming his second of the afternoon moments later though as Town's star man unleashed an unstoppable left footed strike into the back of the net to put his side ahead.

With the lead for the first time, Town never looked back, keeping Oldham at bay despite the hosts best efforts to force an equaliser.

Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield, Burrell, Thomson, Martin, Lawlor, Kiernan, Kirby (Falkingham 72), Muldoon, Hall, Francis (Kerry 90)

Subs not used: Cracknell, Stead, Miller, Lokko

Goals: Thomson 30, 71

Oldham: Lawlor, Clarke, Borthwick-Jackson, Jombati (Garrity 45), Piergianni, Keillor-Dunn (Wheln 82), Grant, Ntambwe, McAleny (Fage 45), Bahamboula (Dearnley 66), McCalmont (Barnett 82)

Subs not used: Bilboe, Hamer

Goals: McAleny 18(p)

Booked: Garrity

Sent off: Grant 43

Referee: B Speedie

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account