Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 0 - 1 Salford City - Town fall to first-half Wilson strike

19 December 2020

Match Reports

Town 0 - 1 Salford City - Town fall to first-half Wilson strike

19 December 2020

A clinical finish after 17 minutes from James Wilson proved to be the difference as Town fell to a 1-0 defeat at home to Salford City.

Almost 500 fans were at the Envirovent Stadium to witness a spirited performance but the visitors held firm in the second half to leave Town searching for a second home win of the season.

With Josh Falkingham ruled out through injury, Ed Francis, who made his debut at Exeter in midweek, was handed his first home start.

For the visitors, Richie Wellens named the same starting side that earned a 1-1 draw at home to leaders Newport in midweek.

The two teams had last met in March 2019 in the National League, when a Devonte Redmond won the points for Salford. Six of the Town side from that day were in today's starting line-up whilst only Ibou Touray remained for the visitors.

The early stages of the game saw both sides content to spar with one another, comfortable in possession but without looking to land a knock-out blow.

Town in particular were moving the ball about freely, with Francis and Connor Kirby striking up a nice partnership in central midfield.

Their positive work was undone though in the 17th minute when a speculative long ball from Brandon Thomas-Assante caught out the Town back line and Wilson provided the controlled finish to put the visitors ahead.

Stung by the blow Town looked to hit back immediately through Jack Muldoon but his strike from the edge of the area went high and wide with Vaclav Hladky looking comfortably on in the Salford goal.

The Ammies went close to adding a second on the half-four mark when Jason Lowe profited from good work from the dangerous Ash Hunter, only to see his left-footed effort deflect inches wide of James Belshaw's right-hand post.

As the half drew to a close both Kirby and Warren Burrell go into referee Kettle's book for fouls.

Buoyed by attacking the Aon Kop in the second half, Town started the second half brightly to give the fans behind the goal something to shout about.

Penning Salford deep in their penalty area, Muldoon fashioned a good position for himself but couldn't quite get his shot away and moments later had a shout for a penalty turned down with the fans imploring the referee to point to the spot.

The lively Hunter then tested Belshaw from distance on 55 minutes but it was Town who were the brighter of the two sides.

Hladky's heart was in his mouth when he fumbled Muldoon's shot but with Kiernan bearing down on goal he managed to claw the ball to safety.

Both sides made a change with 15 minutes remaining, with Town bringing on Lloyd Kerry for George Thomson and the Ammies replacing Thomas-Assante with Bruno Andrade.

Kerry almost made an immediate impact when his corner found its way to Kiernan, but he failed to keep his effort on target

Belshaw was then at his alert best to deny Andrade, before Ryan Fallowfield found his way into the book.
Calvin Miller was introduced as a late substitute and Town fashioned one final opportunity in stoppage but Lawlor's glancoing header from the Scot's cross fell agonisingly wide.

Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield, Burrell, Lawlor, Hall, Thomson (Kerry, 73), Francis (Miller, 85), Kirby, Kiernan, Martin, Muldoon.

Subs not used: Cracknell, Stead, Lokko.

Booked: Kirby (37), Burrell (43), Fallowfield (82)

Salford City: Hladky, I.Touray, Lowe, Eastham, Clarke, Hunter, Bernard, Threlked, Wilson (Dieseruvwe, 84), Thomas-Assante (Andrade, 73), Henderson.

Subs not used: Elliott, Turnbull, Hayes, M.Touray.

Goal: Wilson (17)

Referee: Trevor Kettle.

Attendance: 495.

Report by Danny Pugsley.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account