Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 0-4 Blackpool - Town suffer FA Cup exit

28 November 2020

Match Reports

Town 0-4 Blackpool - Town suffer FA Cup exit

28 November 2020

Four second half goals were enough for League One side Blackpool to prevail at the EnviroVent Stadium as a 4-0 defeat ended Town's FA Cup hopes for another season.

A Grant Ward strike added to Josh Falkingham's own goal in the opening 15 minutes after the break did the damage after an even first half had Town sensing a potential upset, with Jordan Gabriel and Dan Kemp capped a dominant second half with close range strikes late on..

Manager Simon Weaver was forced to deploy a makeshift back four as a result of injuries to both Ryan Fallowfield and Dan Jones. Jake Lawlor and Kevin Lokko came into the side with Warren Burrell and Connor Hall operating in the full back positions.

The remainder of the starting line-up was that which earned the 1-0 victory at Mansfield in midweek, with Calvin Miller again getting an opportunity in midfield.

Blackpool, who overcame Eastbourne Borough 3-0 in the first round, starting the brighter of the two sides, with CJ Hamilton in particular testing the new-look back four.

Town settled into their stride as the half wore on though and were unfortunate when Jack Muldoon couldn't fashion a shot on goal when well placed. 

Gary Madine's shot on 35 minutes that sailed well wide of James Belshaw's goal was the best effort either side could muster in the opening 45 minutes, with neither goalkeeper forced into a save.

Town suffered an early setback after the break though when Luke Garbutt's inswinging corner wasa deflected into his own goal by Falkingham. 

They rallied well though immediately after falling behind with Miller's effort forcing Chris Maxwell into a smart save. 

Belshaw was again tested on the hour when a double save was required to thwart another Blackpool attack. He could do little from the resulting corner however when Grant Ward struck to double the visitors lead.

Weaver made his first change of the afternoon by bringing on Brendan Kiernan in place of Miller, switching to a 4-3-3 formation in an attempt to get back into the game.

The attacking trio of Kiernan, Muldoon and Mark Beck were beginning to cause the Blackpool defence problems but try as they might, for all their effort Town couldn't find a way through to create the opportunity needed to reduce the arrears.

With time ticking down, Lloyd Kerry's ambitious lob almost caught out Maxwell but it would prove to be the last opportunity for Town before Pool capped their win through Gabriel and Kemp to book their place in the third round.

Town also saw Lokko dismissed in injury time for a deliberate handball.

Town: Belshaw, Burrell, Hall, Lawlor, Lokko, Thomson, Falkingham (Kirby, 88), Kerry, Miller (Kiernan, 63), Beck, Muldoon.

Subs not used: Cracknell, Fallowfield, Stead, Martin.

Booked: Miller (45), Falkingham (47), Burrell (52), Kerry (90).

Sent Off: Lokko

Blackpool: Maxwell, Woodburn (Lubala, 62), Gabriel, Anderson (Kemp, 79), Madine, Ward, Dougall, Hamilton (Mitchell, 83), Ballard, Garbutt, Ekpiteta.

Subs not used: Yates, Husband, Turton, Sims.

Goals: Falkingham og (50), Ward (60), Gabriel (86), Kemp (90).

Referee: James Oldham.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account