Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

TOWN 0 - 0 Stevenage - Town forced to settle for a goalless draw

27 October 2020

Match Reports

TOWN 0 - 0 Stevenage - Town forced to settle for a goalless draw

27 October 2020

Town were were forced to settle for a point following a goalless draw at home to Stevenage.

Simon Weaver's side had hoped to return to winning ways but on a night where chances were at a premium they failed to find a way past a resolute performance from the visitors.

Weaver was forced to make two changes to the side that started at Colchester on Saturday, with Connor Kirby and Jon Stead replacing the injured Lloyd Kerry and Aaron Martin.

Coming into the game on the back of a six-game winless streak and having failed to score in any of their previous five encounters, Stevenage manager Alex Revell made five changes in an attempt to arrest the slide with Romain Vincelot, Luke Prosser, Terence Vancootenm Femi Akinwande and Marcus Dinanga coming into the starting line-up.

There was little action to speak of in the early stages of the game, with both sides feeling each other out although Town were dominating the possession battle and saw Jon Stead's poked effort go narrowly over the bar.

Stevenage showed no signs of a lack of confidence given recent results and it was the visitors who almost took the lead when Dinanga beat Ryan Fallowfield on the half hour to whip in a cross that Elliot List directed beyond James Belshaw's far post.

Dinanga had a further chance minutes later when he flashed a shot wide of the goal to serve as a warning to Weaver's side who had allowed the visitors to get the upper hand.

There was an immediate response from Town though when Fallowfield picked out an unmarked Stead in the box, but the striker steered his header wide when well positioned.

The half ended with the first booking of the game when Arthur Read went into referee Salisbury's book for a late challenge on Josh Falkingham.

The visitors had the first effort after the break when Femi Akinwande headed over after Town could only half clear a Stevenage free kick.

Weaver made his first change of the evening when Brendan Kiernan replaced Calvin Miller and his introduction saw the first effort on target of the night on 65 minutes when he fed Connor Kirby, but his effort was comfortably dealt with by Jamie Cumming.

Town's second substitution followed when Stead was replaced by Mark Beck for his appearance since the home defeat to Bolton in early October.

A final change saw Tom Walker introduced for Georg Thomson and Walker was involved in Town's best chance of the evening when he forced Cumming into a smart double-save after first denying Kiernan's volleyed attempt.
It was as close as Town would come though, and they breathed a sigh of relief when Scott Cuthbert's late header fall just wide with Belshaw well beaten.

Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield, Burrell, Smith, Hall, Thomson (Walker, 78), Falkingham, Kirby, Miller (Kiernan, 63), Stead (Beck, 70), Muldoon.

Subs not used: Cracknell, Jones, Lokko.

Booked: Falkingham (87), Fallowfield (90).

Stevenage: Cumming, Coker, Vincelot, Cuthbert, Prosser, Osbourne, Vancooten (Carter, 70), List (Marshall,75), Read, Akinwande (Newton, 83), Dinanga.

Subs not used: Johnson, Effiong, Smith, Oteh.

Booked: Read (45)

Referee: Graham Salisbury.

Report by Danny Pugsley.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account