Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Forest Green Rovers 2-1 Town

13 March 2021

Match Reports

Forest Green Rovers 2-1 Town

13 March 2021

It was an unsuccessful first visit to the New Lawn for Town as third placed Forest Green struck once in each half to seal a hard fought victory.

Captain Chris Stokes provided the first with a well taken volley, before Kane Wilson's surge forward from right back ended with the hosts two goals to the good.

There was drama in stoppage time as Town pulled one back, with Jay Williams looking to get the final touch, before the hosts were reduced to ten men after Elliott Whitehouse was shown a second yellow card, though any hopes of a point were ended by the Referee's final whistle.

Simon Weaver made two changes from Tuesday night's 3-0 win over Colchester as Jack Muldoon and Ed Francis replaced Josh March and Lloyd Kerry.

The hosts also made two changes to their line-up as Scottish winger Nicky Cadden returned to Mark Cooper's side.

It was Town who started the brighter though, with George Thomson firing the first shot of the game towards Lewis Thomas' goal and Weaver's side enjoying spells of dangerous possession.

The hosts soon began to threaten though and took the lead after 22 minutes when a soft free kick wasn't properly cleared, allowing Captain Stokes to volley home.

The goal would turn out to be the only attempt on target of the first half, with Josh McPake unable to convert Town's best chance as a low cross came in from the right.

With the strong wind playing it's part, James Belshaw had to be alert in dealing wit the numerous swirling balls being delivered into the Town area within the first 45 minutes.

Cooper's side doubled their lead five minutes after the restart as Wilson surged forward from right back, playing a one-two that got him into a good enough position to beat Belshaw.

With 56 minutes on the clock, Weaver opted to shake things up with Connor Hall, Brendan Kiernan and Aaron Martin all entering the action from the bench.

Town's next chance fell to Dan Jones as George Thomson's corner was won by the full back, though he couldn't keep his headed effort under the cross bar.

With the fixture entering stoppage time, substitute Williams was able to bundle home Thomson's corner at the far post, though it would turn out to be too little too late as Forest Green held on to the win, despite having Elliott Whitehouse dismissed for a second yellow card in the 95th minute.

Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield, Jones, Falkingham (Williams 80), Smith, Burrell (Hall 56), Thomson, Beck (Martin 56), Muldoon, Francis (Kiernan 56), McPake

Subs not used: Lawlor, Minter

Goals: Williams 91

Booked: Martin

Forest Green: Thomas, Wilson, Bernard, Stokes, Cargill, Collins (Richardson 90), Cadden (Wagstaff 83), Matt, Whitehouse, Godwin-Malife, Davison (Bailey 76)

Subs not used: McGee, Hutchinson, Allen, Young

Goals: Stokes 22, Wilson 50

Booked: Bernard, Whitehouse

Sent off: Whitehouse

Referee: C Pollard

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account