Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Carlisle 0-2 Town - Town Keep Out Carlisle to Claim All Three Points

23 November 2021

Match Reports

Carlisle 0-2 Town - Town Keep Out Carlisle to Claim All Three Points

23 November 2021

George Thomson and Alex Pattison fired Town back to winning ways as Simon Weaver's side brought three points back from Carlisle United.

Thomson struck low and hard into the bottom corner in first half stoppage time, with Pattison taking full advantage of Carlisle pressing for an equaliser with a finish on the counter attack in the 78th minute.

Carlisle had their moments, but Town, helped by two important Mark Oxley saves, were able to keep their opponents out and record an elusive clean sheet to lift them up to 6th in SkyBet League Two.

Simon Weaver made two changes to the starting line-up as Thomson and Jack Muldoon replaced Simon Power and Danilo Orsi, while Academy player Brad Williams replaced Ryan Fallowfield on the bench.

Carlisle went close to opening the scoring in the ninth minute when the ball was crossed from deep towards Brad Young, who glanced a header onto the post, sceonds before meeting another cross, but heading over the bar.

After the early scare, other than shots for both sides from a long way out, the first half offered little in terms of chances for either side, though Muldoon will feel he should have done better with Town's first chance of the half as he failed to make sufficient contact with Jack Diamond's cross at the far post, allowing Mark Howard to palm away.

As the half went on both sides began to threaten more, before, in the only minute of first half stoppage time, Thomson provided the highlight of the half to put his side ahead at the break, collecting a pass from Muldoon before firing low and hard into the bottom corner.

Carlisle came flying out the blocks for the second 45 in search of a leveller, with Young racing through on goal, only to slide the ball wide of the post, squandering the chance to get his side back on level terms.

Zack Clough was next to go close for the hosts just before the hour mark as his clever movement got him away from Connor Hall and Warren Burrell and in a position to shoot, though the final effort was dragged wide of the post.

A trademark Pattison drive reminded the hosts of the threat Town pose, with spaces opening up more on the break, thoiugh the effort from a narrow angle was claimed by Howard.

Clough was involved again with under 20 minutes to go, digging a shot out on goal from inside the area, though Oxley was able to spring to his right and keep his clean sheet in tact.

With 12 minutes of normal time remaining Town doubled their league through a swift counter attack, Pattison driving forward and feeding Diamond, whose shot fell back at the feet of Pattison to tuck it into the bottom corner.

Luke Armstrong nearly added a third in the closing minutes,though Howard denied Town's top scorer, with Oxley needed to make another crucial stoppage time save at the other end to hold on to a long awaited clean sheet.

Town: Oxley, Page, Falkingham (Power 82), Burrell, Thomson, Sheron, Pattison, Muldoon (Kerry 72), Hall, Diamond, Armstrong

Subs not used: Orsi, Cracknell, Ilesanmi, Williams

Goals: Thomson 45+1, Pattison 78

Booked: Sheron, Burrell

Carlisle: Howard, Mellor, Devine (Charters 85), McDonald, Guy, Clough, Dickenson, Abrahams (Fishburn 68), Whelan, Gibson, Young (Mampala 68)

Subs not used: Simons, Dinyezi, Charters, Feeney, Bell


Booked: Guy

Referee: S Stocksbridge

Attendance: 3,172 (84 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account