Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town 2-1 Wrexham - Substitutes Power and Orsi Seal Our Place in the Second Round

6 November 2021

Match Reports

Town 2-1 Wrexham - Substitutes Power and Orsi Seal Our Place in the Second Round

6 November 2021

Substitutes Simon Power and Danilo Orsi sent Town into the Second Round of the Emirates FA Cup, with a late goal each to seal a come from behind win against Wrexham.

The National League visitors had been ahead through Jordan Ponticelli, but goals in the 73rd and 79th minute from Simon Weaver's second half substitutes ensured it would be Harrogate whose name appears in the Second Round for just the third time in the club's history.

Weaver made three changes from last weekend as Nathan Sheron, Aaron Martin and Lloyd Kerry all came into the starting lineup, while there were places on the bench for Academy duo Mason Wilson and Brad Williams.

After an opening fifteen minutes of both sides settling into the rhythm of the game, Town almost took the lead as Wrexham Captain Luke Young almost diverted Jack Diamond's cross into his own net after good work in the build up by Alex Pattison.

Despite Town enjoying more possession than their opponents, it was Wrexham who would take the lead in the 38th minute as an acrobatic attempt on goal fell to an unmarked Ponticelli at the back post who made no mistake with the goal gaping.

Martin tried an overhead kick of his own before the half was done, but couldn't hit the target as Town entered the interval trailing by one.

Wrexham looked the more threatening at the start of the second half with Tyler French trying to sneak one in at the near post after a succession of corners, though Mark Oxley was alert enough to block.

Power, Jack Muldoon and Danilo Orsi were all introduced to try and get Town in the game, but it was the player who looked most likely in the first half Pattison who continued to carry the main threat, shooting high and wide in the 69th minute.

With little over fifteen minutes to go, Falkingham tried to release Power, who was then brought down from behind, resulting in a free kick in a dangerous area on the edge of the Wrexham box.

Jack Diamond rolled the dead ball a few yards to Power, who struck an unstoppable effort past Rob Lainton to level the score!

Diamond and Power combined again just minutes later, this time with Power teeing up Diamond, whose finish was somehow kept out of the net by the Wrexham stopper.

The turnaround was complete in the 79th minute as Muldoon was put through on goal, but blocked by Lainton, with the loose ball falling to Orsi to tuck into the corner.

Wrexham were almost gifted an equaliser shortly after as Warren Burrell's back pass was cleared by Oxley onto Ponticelli, but fell wide of the empty net.

Pattison had the chance to seal it for Town as stoppage time approached, but couldn't keep his finish down.

Wrexham threw everything forward in the closing minutes, but committed defending and an outstanding Burrell block kept the visitors out and booked Town's place in Monday's Second Round draw.

Harogate Town: Oxley, Page (Fallowfield 45), Falkingham, Burrell, Thomson (Power 58), Martin (Orsi 62), Sheron, Pattison, Kerry (Muldoon 62), Hall, Diamond

Subs not used: Smith, Cracknell, Wilson, Williams

Goals: Power 73, Orsi 79

Wrexham: Lainton, Brisley (Angus 83), Hayden, Tozer, Davies, Young, McAlinden (Hosannah 69), French, Green (Hall-Johnson 83), Ponticelli, J Jones (Jarvis 83)

Subs not used: Dibble, Reckord, D Jones, Lennon, Bickerstaff

Goals: Ponticelli 38

Booked: McAlinden, French

Referee: S Oldham

Attendance: 2,403 (582 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account