Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Crawley 2-2 Town - Our trip to the People's Pension Stadium ends all square

21 September 2021

Match Reports

Crawley 2-2 Town - Our trip to the People's Pension Stadium ends all square

21 September 2021

Harrogate Town returned North with a point to show for their efforts after an eventful evening ended in a 2-2 draw at The People's Pension Stadium.

Luke Armstrong had Town ahead inside two minutes, but two goals at the end of the first half from Joel Lynch and Sam Ashford gave Town a problem to solve at the half way point.

Good work from Jack Muldoon forced an own goal that had his side back on level terms early in the second half, but despite the dismissal of Ashley Nadesan, Town couldn't break down the ten men and were made to settle for a point.

Simon Weaver brought Ryan Fallowfield, Lloyd Kerry and Simon Power into his starting line-up, who took the place of the injured Lewis Page and Alex Pattison, as well as suspended Jack Diamond.

John Yems named an unchanged Crawley side who were on the hunt for a third consecutive win, though there was space on the bench for former Charlton winger Mark Marshall who signed for the club earlier in the day.

Town made the perfect start to the evening as Armstrong headed George Thomson's corner into the back of the net after just two minutes, claiming a sixth goal of the season in the process.

Armstrong went close to a second four minutes later after Rory McArdle had nodded Thomson's free kick back across goal, but couldn't get enough of a stud on the ball to convert.

Connor Hall was in the thick of the action at both ends in the first half as his deflected effort nearly found its way into the Crawley net, before some alert defending denied Ashford a clear strike on goal.

With Muldoon also firing over in a half Town had up to now dominated, Weaver's side were left to rue their missed chances when a moments hesitation inside the area allowed Lynch in to fire home from close range minutes before the break.

In first half stoppage time the hosts managed to turn the entire tie on its head, as a low cross from the right was finished off by Ashford to give Crawley a 2-1 lead at the interval.

Town were back on level terms seven minutes after the restart, Muldoon showing great pace down the right to beat his man and cross towards Kerry, with Crawley defender Davies appliying the unfortunate final touch.

Kerry was needed at the other end to stop the hosts taking the lead after second half substitute Nadesan had got in behind and tried to square to his teammate, only for Kerry's sliding challenge to guide the ball into the arms of Mark Oxley.

The hosts were reduced to ten men in the 64th minute when an altercation between Connor Hall and Nadesan ended with the Crawley man moving his head towards Town's defender in a manner worthy of a red card according to Referee Darren Drysdale.

Hall was being booed by the home crowd for his part in the red card, but nearly had the last laugh as he flicked Thomson's free kick towards the bottom corner, only for a combination of defender and goalkeeper to scramble away.

Kerry, Thomson and Muldoon all had efforts in the closing stages, but Town couldn't find a way past the ten man of Crawley and were made to settle for a point.

Town: Oxley, Fallowfield, Falkingham, Burrell, Thomson, Kerry, Muldoon, Hall, McArdle, Armstrong, Power

Subs not used: Smith, Martin, Orsi, Cracknell, Sheron

Goals: Armstrong 2, Davies OG 52

Booked: Hall

Crawley: Morris, Francomb (Davies 38), Dallison, Powell, Nichols, Ferry, Ashford (Marshall 80), Tsaroulla, Payne (Nadesan 45), Lynch, Hessentaler

Subs not used:  Appiah, Khaleel, Bansal-Mcnulty, Jones

Goals: Lynch 43, Ashford 45+

Booked: Powell, Nichols

Sent off: Nadesan

Referee: Darren Drysdale

Attendance: 1,791 (72 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account