Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stockport 0-0 Harrogate Town - Town earn a point away at Edgeley Park

17 September 2022

Match Reports

Stockport 0-0 Harrogate Town - Town earn a point away at Edgeley Park

17 September 2022

It was a share of the spoils for Simon Weaver and his Town side as they left Stockport with a point and a clean sheet ahead of next week's trip to Stevenage.

With both sides creative an array of chances the match provided it's worth in entertainment value with neither side able to nudge ahead.

After a positive showing in the late defeat to Salford City on Tuesday evening Simon Weaver unsurprisingly named an unchanged starting line-up and bench.

For the hosts, Dave Challinor made one change as Ryan Johnson replaced Joe Lewis to the side that fell 3-2 to Crawley last time out. Macauley Southam-Hales missed out through injury whilst they were still without the suspended Paddy Madden.

Once again, a minutes silence for Queen Elizabeth II was impeccably observed by the attending crowd before the national anthem was played.

Town had started fast against Salford in midweek but it was Stockport who began the brighter of the two sides.
An early Kyle Wootton turn and shot was a couple of yards from Pete Jameson's right-hand post before Kayne Ramsay had to be alert to clear a scrambled effort from James Brown.

Callum Camps then went down under a firm challenge from Lewis Richards and although he attempted to continue, he was replaced soon after by Ryan Croasdale with just 15 minutes on the clock.

Ollie Crankshaw was then involved in a Stockport break but elected to shoot when Antoni Sarcevic was better placed to receive the pass and his effort went well over Jameson's bar.

There was further danger from the feet of Crankshaw on 25 minutes with Miles Welch-Hayes on hand as the last man to clear the danger.

On the back foot for the opening 30 minutes of the game Town's first opportunity came from a Joe Mattock free-kick that Luke Armstrong got on the end of, but Town's striker couldn't free himself from the attention of the County defence to make a clean contact.

Substitute Croasdale then went into the book for a late tackle on Stephen Dooley before County then had the best chance of the game. A Welch-Hayes errant pass went straight to Crankshaw and he hit first time with Jameson off his line, with Town grateful to see the ball clip the top of the bar to safety.

Town almost went ahead with two minutes remaining in the half when Armstrong met Pattison's cross but his strike was inches wide.

In injury time a Mattock free-kick was met by Ramsay but his header was deflected wide.

After being introduced as one of two half-time changes Matty Daly quickly got himself involved in the action. An infield pass from Ramsay gave him an opportunity to pick out the advancing Richards. However, his cross was blocked.

Just moments later, Sam Folarin became the first Town player to enter the book of referee Ross Joyce as his slightly late tackle gave away a crossing opportunity in the final third.

However, it was on 51 minutes where a last ditch tackle from Fraser Horsfall stopped the advancing Josh Coley racing through 1 v 1 with the Stockport keeper.

In style with the rest of the match Stockport then pushed on trying to notch the opening goal of the match. Croasdale curled one from the edge of the area which whistled past Pete Jameson. However, also beyond the post.

There were claims from the home support for a red card as Rory McArdle attempted to win the ball. However, Ross Joyce viewed the high boot as only worthy of a yellow just past the hour mark.

As the match entered the final third a cross from Kyle Wooton flashed across the edge of the Harrogate area. However, no one in blue was able to divert it goalward.

The introduction of Dior Angus added a second wind to the Town attack as with 10 minutes remaining his driving run resulted in a pass to Luke Armstrong. However, his effort was blocked and cleared by County.

As the minutes ticked by both sides tried desperately for an equaliser. However, it was the Town number 8 at the heart of all things for the men in black.

His advancing run from the edge of the Town penalty area, slipped through Alex Pattison. However, Patto's effort was well saved by Jaros in the Stockport net.

A point and clean sheet gives Simon Weaver and his players a strong base as they prepare to make the journey south to face Stevenage next Saturday.
Stockport County: Jaros, Wright (Jennings, 71), Horsfall, Camps (Croasdale, 12), Sarcevic (Hippolyte, 88), Crankshaw, Collar, Johnson, Brown, Wootton, Hussey.

Subs: Hinchcliffe, Evans, Rydel, Lewis.

Booked: Croasdale (30)

TOWN: Jameson, Ramsay, Welch-Hayes (McArdle, 45), Mattock, Richards (Austerfield, 61), Burrell, Dooley (Daly, 45), Coley (Angus, 72'), Pattison, Folarin (Muldoon, 54), Armstrong.

Substitutes: Oxley, Grant.

Booked: Folarin (48), McArdle (62) Austerfield (90+3)

Referee: Ross Joyce.

Attendance: 7863

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account