Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

TOWN 0-1 Forest Green Rovers - Town suffer first defeat of the season

Matt Stevens strike just after the break was enough to send Town to a 1-0 home reversal

12 August 2023

Match Reports

TOWN 0-1 Forest Green Rovers - Town suffer first defeat of the season

Matt Stevens strike just after the break was enough to send Town to a 1-0 home reversal

12 August 2023

Town’s unbeaten start to the season was brought to an end thanks to a Matthew Stevens strike less than a minute into the second half.

The goal cancelled out a largely even opening forty-five minutes and despite some flashes after falling behind Town struggled to establish a foothold to get themselves back on level terms.

Town were forced into one change to the side won on opening day at Doncaster due to Rod McDonald’s injury. He was replaced by Warren Burrell, one of the players who shone in the midweek victory against. There was also a return to the bench for striker Luke Armstrong.

The visitors made two changes from their previous league game with Dylan Kadji and Jamie Robson coming into midfield, with new signings Alfie Bendle and Jacob Maddox named on the bench.

And it was Rovers who started the brightest of the two sides, with midfield pairing Kyle McAllister and Charlie McCann ensuring the lions share of possession in the opening stages.

It was Town that had the crowd off their feet first though. The pace of Sam Folarin down the right saw him ease past his man and he delivered a telling low cross that Ryan Inniss had to be at full stretch to turn behind for a corner.

The visitors went close midway through the first half when a lovely reverse pass from McCann freed Tyrese Omotoye and his shot forced Mark Oxley into a save with his feet to keep the game goalless.

Abraham Odoh tried his luck from distance on the half-hour mark but his effort from distance was well wide of the target and summed up a slightly frustrating period for Town, who were struggling to impose themselves on the game.

Callum Jones was shown the first yellow card of the day ten minutes before the break for a cynical hack down of James Daly.

Folarin’s pace was again at the fore just before the break when Jack Muldoon’s tenacity saw Town break with purpose. Folarin burst past the back line before crashing a shot on target that Luke Daniels parried to safety.

Less than a minute into the second-half Town found themselves behind. Quick feet from Omotoye saw him cut inside Burrell and his shot on target was diverted past Oxley by Stevens for the lead.

Odoh flashed a shot wide shortly after as Town looked to manufacture a quick response to falling behind for the first time this season.

Rovers made a quick change after the interval with new boy Maddox replacing Kadji with the newly introduced midfielder inducing a yellow card after a Dean Cornelius foul.

Maddox then volleyed just beyond Oxley’s far post before Town made a double change with Armstrong and Matty Daly replacing Muldoon and James Daly.

Maddox’s lively start to his afternoon continued when he was yellow carded for fouling Folarin.

Substitute Daly almost levelled on 65 minutes when he pounced on Odoh’s cross but Daniels was equal to the task and cleared the danger. There was no doubt that Town were looking as lively as they had done as the game headed into the final quarter mark.

Folarin then outpaced the defence yet again and forced Daniels into another save with Simon Weaver introducing Josh Falkingham and Levi Sutton into the midfield engine room.

Despite an additional six minutes the visitors Town only had an Armstrong snapshot to show for their efforts and the visitors closed the game out largely comfortably.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account