Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report - Jordan Gibson double inflicts defeat on Town

14 November 2023

Match Reports

Match report - Jordan Gibson double inflicts defeat on Town

14 November 2023

A goal in either half from Jordan Gibson ensured it was defeat for Town in our final group stage match of the Bristol Street Motors Trophy at Brunton Park this evening.

Simon Weaver made seven changes following Saturday’s victory over Walsall. Match winner George Thomson, Liam Gibson & Dean Cornelius were among those to come into the side.

Elsewhere, Jonathan Mitchell held his place between the sticks and Jack Muldoon was elected to lead the line once again as Town went in search of three points to end the Bristol Street Motors Trophy group stage.

However, some neat link-up play in the opening four minutes had the home side ahead. A quick one-two between Joe Garner and Jon Mellish gave the latter a shooting opportunity inside the Town penalty area.

His shot was saved by Mitchell but he could only push the ball into the path of the on rushing Jordan Gibson as he hammered the ball home to give Carlisle the lead with their first attack of the match.

Looking for a response, it would be a little over 15 minutes before Town would have their first serious shot at goal through Abraham Odoh.

George Thomson & Jack Muldoon combined well as Town’s number 7 played a defence splitting pass into the path of Odoh. However, his low effort was blocked by the Carlisle defender.

Thomson would be the next yellow shirt to try and level the scoring. A fast paced counter charge was led by Muldoon as he fed the ball to Thomson. The midfielder stepped inside and shot hard and low but Holy got down low to ensure Carlisle maintained their advantage.

Town ended the half with a dangerous spell of possession on the edge of the Carlisle penalty area as Thomson picked out Muldoon around 20 yards from goal. However, with space to shoot, the striker’s effort was well over the bar.

With little over five minutes gone in the second half, a promising run from Thomson created a crossing opportunity down the Town right-hand side. He played a dangerous ball into the path of Muldoon but a last ditch interception prevented Town’s number 18 from finding the back of the net.

Simon Weaver’s side clearly took confidence from this exchange, just moments later there were claims for a penalty as Muldoon was robbed of possession by Jordan Gibson. However, the referee waved those claims away as Carlisle regained possession. 

Dean Cornelius would be the next yellow shirt to try and fire his side level. A pass inside from Gibson gave the midfielder space to shoot on the edge of the area but his effort was well over the bar.

As the game approached the 70th minute mark, Town continued their quest to level the scoring. A weighted cross from Odoh found Thomson but his header was over.

Carlisle’s first chance of the half came on the 78 minutes as a corner into the box was headed to safety but only as far as McCalmont. He picked up the loose ball around 25 yards from goal but his effort was right at Mitchell who gathered at the second attempt.

The attack proved to be a sign of things to come as Gibson added his second of the night just moments later. A goal-line clearance from McDonald fell to the feet of Carlisle’s number seven inside the area and he evaded the Town challenges to slot the ball home.

With little over 10 minutes remaining, Town were unable to find a response which ensured it was defeat for Simon Weaver's side.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account