Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report - Crawley edge Town in hard fought League Two encounter

25 November 2023

Match Reports

Match Report - Crawley edge Town in hard fought League Two encounter

25 November 2023

A Klaidi Lolos header 13 minutes from time was the difference as Town fell to their first away league defeat since September in this afternoon's trip to Crawley.

Crawley captain Ben Gladwin had given his side the lead on 23 minutes despite a strong start from Town. However, Jack Muldoon's second goal in as many games brought Town back onto level terms just before half-time. 

With both sides having chances in the second 45, the late effort from Lolos secured the points as Town look to bounce back in Tuesday's match with Wrexham at The EnviroVent 

Simon Weaver opted for an unchanged line-up following on from last weekend’s draw with Swindon Town at The EnviroVent. However, there were some alterations to the bench as Josh March, Finn O’Boyle and Brad Williams were amongst those named in the 18.

A clever pass from George Thomson had Town on the front foot as he fed through Sam Folarin but his dangerous cross was just beyond the Town captain and Crawley regained possession.

However, the home side quickly turned defense into attack as Adam Campbell led a dangerous counter charge into the final third of the pitch. He played through Danilo Orsi but a last ditch tackle from Anthony O’Connor denied him a shot at goal.

Folarin again looked to cause problems for the Crawley backline as he played a defence splitting pass through to Abraham Odoh with the goalkeeper rushing out to prevent the danger. However, an attempted chip was blocked by the on-rushing defender and the scores remained level.

Town again continued to crank up the pressure as the match progressed. A fantastic far post cross from Matty Foulds found Jack Muldoon in space around 10 yards from goal. However, his low and powerful volley was met by the Crawley ‘keeper who ensured the score remained level.

Despite the early success, it would be Crawley who took the lead of the match on 23 minutes. A forward run from Ben Gladwin gave the Crawley captain space to shoot around 25 yards from goal, his low effort round the bottom corner before a diving Jonathan Mitchell could get his hand to it.

Moments later it was very nearly two, former Town man Danilo Orsi rose highest to meet a dangerous cross from the Town left but his towering header clattered off the post before Kayne Ramsay hooked to safety.

With half-time fast approaching, a well-executed press from Town brought success as they regained possession from the Crawley backline. Odoh and Thomson played a quick one-two as Town’s number 9 found space but his attempts to find the bottom corner were unsuccessful.  

Crawley themselves could have doubled their lead in added time through a fantastic header from Laurence Maguire. However, a last ditch clearance from Foulds ensured that the scores remained level.

However, with two minutes left to play until half-time, a fantastic corner into the box from Foulds found O’Connor at the back post. He directed his header goalward and thanks to a huge deflection off Muldoon the effort found the back of the net and ensured Town went into the break on level terms.

As the second half got underway, Town looked to pick up where they left off with a fast paced passing move through the thirds. A clever back heel from Josh March gave Ramsay space to shoot but his effort was well over and the scored remained level.

With the pendulum continuing to swing, Crawley had a huge slice of luck as Orsi had space to shoot deep inside the Town penalty area. However, a great block from Rod McDonald allowed Mitchell to claim.

With 20 minutes left on the clock, Crawley found their feet in the match and went close to adding their second. A dangerous ball in from the Town left was intercepted by O’Connor. However, that was only as far as Nick Tsaroulla at the back post who unleashed a low shot but that was saved well by Mitchell.

It would prove to be a sign of things to come as moments later Crawley regained the lead. A dangerous corner into the Town box evaded everyone including the on rushing Mitchell which allowed Lolos the space to smash the ball into an empty net.

Thomson almost found an instant response from Town. A fantastic near post corner kick delivery from Foulds found the Town captain who flicked his header across the face of goal but it was narrowly wide and Crawley regained possession.

Odoh again thought he had drawn Town level. A switch of play was well controlled inside the Crawley penalty area. However, the resulting effort was saved by the knee of Ashby-Hammond and eventually behind for a corner which game to nothing. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account