Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town U18s 1-4 Brighton U18s - Classy Seagulls get the better of spirited Town side

30 November 2023

Match Reports

Town U18s 1-4 Brighton U18s - Classy Seagulls get the better of spirited Town side

30 November 2023

Brighton and Hove Albion U18s showed their quality at The EnviroVent Stadium to knock Town out of the FA Youth Cup in Round Three, running out 4-1 winners.

Two high quality finishes in the first half saw the Seagulls break Town's defensive unit, though it could have been just the one goal in it midway through the second half had Cadarn Taylor's header been adjudged to cross the line.

Brighton quickly added a third, though Jack Bray's glancing header ensured it wasn't a comfortable finish for Inigo Calderon's side and deservedly gave the young Town side something to take away for their efforts.

The Premier League outfit's wingers carried most of the early threat as they showed off their pace and trickery, with the visitors patient build up play looking to get them in positions where they could attack the full back.

Jack Bray was the first in yellow and black to have a go at goal, receiving the ball from Robbie Wilson before cutting inside onto his right foot and bending wide of the top corner.

Brighton opend the scoring in the 28th minute in a clever move that was finished off by Joe Knight. Charlie Tasker and Remiero Moulton were both involved down the right with Moulton's final pass putting Knight in a great position to fire across Alex Mooney into the inside netting.

Josh Law and Rory McArdle's side responded well to going behind with Ollie Nicholson unlucky not to level just two minutes later having seen his effort cleared from the line.

Brighton would get a second before the half was done though, and there was nothing Harrogate 'keeper Mooney could do about it. Harry Mills' left footed effort curling into the corner at pace.

Town had a chance to pull a goal back early in the second half as a free kick into the box fell nicely for James Moorby, but the defender couldn't guide his attempt into the corner.

Mooney was then in fine form to keep Brighton from getting a third after he kept out Sahil Bashir's attempt at the near post with the Seagulls Mills' pass releasing the winger.

Town were convinced they had pulled a goal back in the 71st minute as Cadarn Taylor's looping header was caught by Lorenz Ferdinand falling backwards. The Brighton stoppper looked to be behind the line, but neither the Referee or Assistant Referee signalled for a goal.

Just seconds later Brighton claimed their third that all but sealed their progression into round four, Bashir again looking bright down the left and forcing Mooney into a save, though this time Ronnie Gorman was there to tap home the rebound.

Conceding a third didn't stop Town deservedly getting on the scoresheet though as Bray expertly glanced home a header with 15 minutes still to play.

Brighton restored their three goal lead with ten minutes to play though as Moulton cut inside from the left and found the bottom corner to ensure their passage through to the fourth round.

Town: Mooney, Nicholson, McClarin, Smalley, Taylor, Moorby, Brodella, Lee, Samuels, Bray, Wilson

Subs: Etherington, Shepherc, Obarotimi, Barnes, Hindle, Robinson, Pow

Brighton: Ferdinand, Tasker, Mills, Simmonds, Vickers, Albarus, Moulton, Knight, Belmont, Howell, Bashir

Subs: Mthunzi, Mansell, Oriola, Gorman, Lee, Owusu, Nti

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account