Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

TOWN 2-2 Wrexham - Town fight back to earn a share of the spoils

27 November 2023

Match Reports

TOWN 2-2 Wrexham - Town fight back to earn a share of the spoils

27 November 2023

Town hit back from a two-goal deficit to earn a share of the spoils as goals from Dean Cornelius and Anthony O’Connor earned a 2-2 draw.

Simon Weaver’s side had fallen behind before the break thanks to strikes from Andy Cannon and Elliott Lee but Cornelius reduced the arrears on the stroke of half-time before O’Connor headed home a minute into the second-half.

Town were forced into one enforced change due to the injury sustained by Sam Folarin in Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at Crawley. Fit again Josh March, who returned to action at the weekend, came into the side.

For the visitors, there was also one change with Jacob Mendy coming into the eleven in place of Anthony Forde.

An early ball over the top in the opening minutes was pounced on by March, who got his shot away but with a narrow angle the effort was comfortably dealt with by Arthur Oronkwo.

Ollie Palmer was felled on the edge of the area on five minutes. Although the initial effort was deflected first Paul Mullin and then Cannon forced a fine double save from Jonathan Mitchell.

March received a yellow card after 20 minutes when he was penalised for a late challenge on Tom O’Connor.

Mitchell was called into action again on 30 minutes when he was at full stretch to turn away a powerful Aaron Hayden header after the visitors recycled possession from a corner.

That would prove to be the prelude to an action-packed end to the first half that saw Wrexham take the lead ten minutes before the break. Stephen Dooley lost possession, with O’Connor squaring for Cannon who slotted coolly past Mitchell.

Before Town could compose themselves they were 2-0 behind. After failing to clear a bouncing ball from Elliott Lee nipped in at the far post to poke home.

On the stroke of half-time though Town reduced the arrears when Cornelius was on hand to fire beyond Okonkwo after the visitors themselves failed to clear their lines.

Cornelius then went into the book for a robust challenge on O’Connor before Evans brought the curtain down on a pulsating end to the half when he cracked a ferocious effort that rebounded off the crossbar.

Both sides were forced into changes at the break. Rod McDonald was replaced by Warren Burrell whilst Mark Howard came on for Okonkwo in a change between the sticks.

And barely a minute into the half, after being penalised for handball, O’Connor powered a header beyond Howard whose first touch was to pick the ball out of the net.

Odoh for all the world appeared as if he had given Town the lead on 50 minutes when he took Kayne Ramsay’s pass and struck sweetly beyond Howard only to see the ball a matter of inches wide.

Mullin, who Town had largely kept quiet to date, then raced beyond the defence but lacked composure and blazed well over the bar.

Ben Tozer went into the book at the midpoint of the second-half for cynically bringing down Jack Muldoon. From the resulting free-kick Matty Foulds whipped in a vicious low ball that March almost diverted beyond Howard.

Foulds then advanced almost the length of the Wrexham half before striking an effort that caused some discomfort for Howard in the Wrexham goal.

With twenty minutes remaining the visitors made two further changes. Into the fray came came James Jones and Sam Dalby for goalscorer Cannon and Palmer.

After Town had been in the ascendancy the changes re-focused Wrexham minds and they steadily found their way back into the game as the final quarter approached.

Substitute Dalby forced Mitchell into a smart save just inside the final ten minutes before Jones struck just wide of the post.

Town then introduced Sivi for the hardworking March with five minutes remaining but despite three minutes of added time neither side could fashion a winner.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account